Hyundai Forums banner

Engine problems

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  trooplewis 
#1 ·
So what’s the deal with Hyundai engine problems I have a 2016 sonata sport the engine had to be replaced at 60 thousand miles

#3 ·
Hyundai has come up with several excuses over the years why the Theta II engines self-destruct, but I don't think anyone really knows specifics for sure. Cheap bearings that break down? Soot from the GDI process attacks engine parts? Who really knows for sure?

Glad you got yours replaced, I hope it didn't take to long for authorization and installation.

#5 ·
I really don't think Hyundai owners, at least a majority of them are not neglecting their cars maintenance, and are not any different from Toyota owners, or Ford owners, or Chevy owners, or Dodge owners, if you get my point. There is a major flaw in these engines, which may, or may never, rear it's ugly head. Kinda luck of the draw...

#6 ·
Hyundai definitely has some engine issue problems and there’s no denying it. Will the replacement engines have the same issues? Who knows.

On this site there are very few if any reports of failed rod bearings on MY2018+ Theta II’s so it does appear that Hyundai did something to alleviate the issues. The 2018’s are now 5 years old, some coming up on 6 years old (production started 04/2017) which is more than enough time for the issue to have become widespread. My guess is Hyundai made significant changes sometime during the MY2017 which is why there was a drop in failures on MY2017 vehicles. Which would also explain why MY2018+ Theta II’s have virtually no rod bearing failures.

2011-2016 model years is where the bulk of the failures are occurring from what I’ve observed.

#10 · (Edited)
I was told by a service writer at one San Diego area dealership that there were "some" engine failures on 2017 MY Sonatas, but those typically happened at 140,000 miles or more. Not sure if he actually had a grip on the stats, but that was his opinion. I just had the odo on my 2017 hit 70k miles, and I have had the P1326 code pop on twice and put me in limp mode. The first time I was 150 miles from the nearest city, on 395 in Calif. Car topped out at 65mph, 2000 rpms and I had no choice but to keep driving it. 75 miles later at a roadside diner I stopped and checked everything out that I could. NO overheat, no odd noises, oil level full, was running smooth. I reset the code with a $25 Harbor Freight code reader and drove another 1800 miles without incident.

Then it happened again. This time limp mode topped out at 1700rpms. I had it towed to a Hyundai dealership, they did the bearing test (it passed), said the car was running normally and did a software update on the Knock Sensor. Have put another 2000 miles on the car since then and it is running the same as before. I have my fingers crossed that it will get to the 140,000 mile mark before needing the engine replaced, guess I have to wait and see. But the darn car runs so well and is so comfortable that I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off.

#11 ·
Your replacement parts may not last another 60k either. Change the oil every 3-4k with 5w/10w30 Gen3 synthetic oil. Make sure the dipstick oil level always remains at the full-mark. Keep your RPMs under 4K and use 89-93 octane Top-Tier gasoline.

Then cross your fingers because Hyunkia Inc uses junk, soft metal parts inside these Theta 2 four cylinder engines that don't last.

#12 ·
Using 89-93 octane in the Theta II will do nothing but waste your money. Won't give you better MPG, won't give you better performance (energy is the same from 87-93). It might help if you have a 2.0 turbo that you have boosted over the factory limits (i.e. aftermarket tune) , but for factory settings 87 is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.