Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a one month old 2022 Tucson that periodically will not start. The issue seems to be related to not being able to depress the brake pedal (feels hard and locked) which is required prior to pressing the ignition button. The dealer kept another 2022 Tucson for 4 weeks and could not resolve the issue. Anybody have a temporary workaround for this issue while we wait for a Hyundai service advisory?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum leak in the brake booster, or the hose and check valve leading to it.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,153 Posts
Mine doesn’t always fire up on the first button press. Sometimes it takes two, or three, attempts but it starts eventually. This only happens when the engine is “cold,” not when I’m running a series of short errands.

Is this the problem you have WRS?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a one month old 2022 Tucson that periodically will not start. The issue seems to be related to not being able to depress the brake pedal (feels hard and locked) which is required prior to pressing the ignition button...
You have had somebody stand behind your Tucson and verify that the brake light doesn't come on when you press the pedal? If the brake light comes on, the switch works regardless if the pedal is hard to press or not.

Can you remotely start the engine?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have a one month old 2022 Tucson that periodically will not start. The issue seems to be related to not being able to depress the brake pedal (feels hard and locked) which is required prior to pressing the ignition button. The dealer kept another 2022 Tucson for 4 weeks and could not resolve the issue. Anybody have a temporary workaround for this issue while we wait for a Hyundai service advisory?
This had to do with sudden acceleration in 1980’s. USA changed the law required all vehicles to have transmission and brake lock-out. These items are security linked to the steering wheel lockout.

When my daughters ran into this issue, (trapping the key), the fix required the following actions.

1). Fully depress the brakes.
2). Shift the car into park And make certain the steering is centered and properly locked.
3). Remove the key,
4) Exit the car and close the door,
5) Activate the security lock, and wait 2-3 minutes,
6) Unlock the door with security lock,
7). Fully depress the brakes and make certain the car’s transmission is in park, before starting the car.
8) Wait 20-30 sec. to allow all the systems to boot before driving the car.

This will reset the security system and all the interlocking steering, transmission and brake systems. Otherwise the car’s security system will think it is getting “ JACKED” and prevent the car from starting. This have happened on all three of my older Hyundai’s.

The car think it is getting robbed and security will not allow the car to start.

Try this trick. If you have a wireless ignition. Toss the key out the window after starting your car and try to drive away. Our cars will come to a stop after the security system kicks in.

Best Wishes

PS. Almost forgot, Please try changing the key FOB Battery! This also cured the problem with all the security interlocks.

·
Registered
953 Posts
My yard, your yard....Not taking the chance of destroying a FOB. I'm gladly taking your word that it works.
That’s actually a great trick with Hyundai’s, if you car getting “Car Jacked” give up your car but take the key and cell phone with you. The security system should stop the car.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
953 Posts
When the Key FOB batteries and Acc. 12V battery in trunk died, on our 2013 Sonata Hybrid Ultimate, the dash lighted up like a Christmas tree, did not want to open the doors, did not want to open the windows, did not want to open the trunk or hood.

!st time we had to use the emergency key to open the trunk to access the 12V Acc. Battery in the trunk, to recharge. Swap batteries to get the key fob to disengage security. Then drove to our local Hyundai dealer to get new Key fob batteries and 12V Acc battery replaced in the trunk.

Aditional Information: I did not know there was a 12V Acc. Car battery in the trunk. It was a 146R or H6. The polarity + - are switched around. It was dead of winter with 1 week of snow and -10F. The only game in town was the Hyundai dealer, which had an emergency road side service 24/7. Therefore I knew the dealer service center was open.

The 2013 Sonata Hybrid Ultimate, key fob batteries and 12V Acc. Battery were all original or more than 8 yrs old. My bad for not putting this car on the maintenance cycle. This was my wife’s car and was on the 5 yrs, 60K mile service contract and my wife took care of all the maintenance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure if this will work, but I had the same issue with a Suzuki. After turning on the ignition, I turned the steering wheel and the brake pedal would soften. I could then hit the start button. Good Luck!

·
Registered
258 Posts
The issue seems to be related to not being able to depress the brake pedal (feels hard and locked) which is required prior to pressing the ignition button.
Funny you should mention this....I have a 2017 and many times when I go for the 1st start of the day the brake pedal is hard like that. I still step on it and there's no problem with the ignition, and the brake pedal does not get hard at any other time unless its sitting for a long number of hours like overnight. Is this a defect?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try this trick. If you have a wireless ignition. Toss the key out the window after starting your car and try to drive away. Our cars will come to a stop after the security system kicks in.
Unfortunately, this is not the case with the 2022 Tucson. This was one of the first things I tested after getting my Tucson, as it my first ever vehicle with a digital key. Once the vehicle is started and has registered that the key is in the vehicle, it will continue to function as usual, without the key, until the vehicle is turned off. There is a loud, constant tone (for a few seconds) to alert you that the key has left the running vehicle. Also, it will let you know in the instrument cluster that there is no key present, as you start to drive away, but it won't do anything to prevent you from doing so. It would probably be a safety/liability issue to do so, much like how BlueLink dropped the stolen vehicle slow down feature recently.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts