Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i own a '95 old Elantra, 150,000kms & manual trans. i had an overheating problem two weeks back due to lack of engine cooling. the engine went really hot but the temp indicator was on normal. i added coolant but im getting a small metallic sound from the engine when i accelerate. It starts when the car heats up... the sound starts after a few kms and is quite high when goin uphill. cant use the car and ive noticed that it started shaking when i drive... pls help

email: [email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Though my problem is not that bad, still I am concerned.
I purchased a new Elantra GT in mid-Oct 2004. After driving in city traffic for an hour or so, the bonnet becomes extemely hot and unable to even touch the bonnet.
The temperature guage,however, shows normal reading.
What could cause this heat. In the same city I did not have this problem with other Makes and also with Santro.
Can any member comment on this??

Chari

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
you are in INDIA, climate HOT + engine HOT = hot bonnet. The hood (bonnet) has no sound insulation on the engine bay side, which would reflect most of the engine temp.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Your problem is almost definitely a head gasket problem.

The metallic noise you can hear is more than likely the engine pinging.

The shuddering could be your engine misfirring due to coolant enetering your cylinder causing your engine to shudder and ping!

Can you carry out a compression test and a cylinder leakage test?

If you could, then you will more than likely locate your problem!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yo... thx for replying... had the car repaired.. took 2 weeks!!! 300$ gone! changed heat gasket... now its running great but ITS STILL OVERHEATING...the temp gauge is 1/3rd of its value... meaning normal but the fan is persisting... even when i;m in neutral it stil overheats... help needed... cya
ps metallic noise is gone...
btw i just check the radiator but its doin its job...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by Den@Dec 10 2004, 11:26 PM
yo... thx for replying... had the car repaired.. took 2 weeks!!! 300$ gone! changed heat gasket... now its running great but ITS STILL OVERHEATING...the temp gauge is 1/3rd of its value... meaning normal but the fan is persisting... even when i;m in neutral it stil overheats... help needed... cya
ps metallic noise is gone...
btw i just check the radiator but its doin its job...
[snapback]3532[/snapback]​

How do you figure it is overheating? because the fan is on? what else?

·
Registered
422 Posts
What other components did they replace when you had the head gasket repaired?
Did they replace your thermostat?

If it is showing that your engine is running at a third of it's total value on the gauge, but the fans are cutting in, I would look at your sensors next, namely your coolant temp sensor.
If this has failed and it's sending a low resistance signal to your ECU then your fans will operate at times when they shouldn't.
Even check whether they have refitted the sensor plug back onto the sensor, because if you remove this plug your fans will operate, this is because the circuit will fall into failsafe mode and keep the fans on all the time so that the engine will not overheat.

Have a look around and see what you can find.
Bothe the gauge sender and the Coolant Temp Sensor will be located at the area where the thermostat is, I think that's where they are for memory anyway.

Maybe you could help us out with this Duke.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
1- The car has a Mitsu-ECM, and the cooling fan is controlled by the thermo switch at the bottom tank of the radiator
2- The fan is running when gauge is at 1/3 of the scale = too cool. The gauge maybe wrong, and the engine is too warm, or the thermo switch is bad. The thermo switch connects the cooling fan at 95°C.

Now the car needs to be connected to the Hi-scan. Call up the engine temp sensor (which is separate from the gauge sender, but in the same location), and compare the reading with the one of the gauge.
Was the thermostat replaced?? If so it must be a 88°C one.

Now, lets stop messing around, and connect the scanner at the Hyundai dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts