Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine wouldn't accelerate after pulling onto road and flooring it. Dash lit up. Pulled over and turned off engine, wouldn't restart at all, wouldn't really crank either (like a bad battery). At shop, verified battery OK. Took out spark plugs and engine would turn when key turned. Thus a compression issue, which was verified by removing front of engine and seeing the cams where not aligned all of a sudden. Clearly the chain slipped but was tight so don't know how that happened. So as of now, I the chains are removed and the cams turn find, the battery pump turns find, but the crankshaft is the weird part and where I need help/advise. Initially, the crank shaft would turn 359degrees and stop. if I really cranked on the 24" breaker bar, it would continue and turn again, until the exact same stop each time. If I turned the opposite direction, it would stop at the same point every time. BTW, the turning was not as "clean" as I have seen on other 4 cylinders but it did turn. OK, then the weird part, as Im turning it and expecting it to stop at the same spot again, it continued. I kept turning and it went around 5 or 6 times, went the opposite direction and it kept going. So all of a sudden, its turning with no issues. Nothing fell out, no weird sounds, it just turns now. So before I put the timing chain back on and reassemble, is their any advice to check/replace XY or Z? BTW, it is still not turning as smoothly/cleanly as I would expect of a 4 cylinder. its not grinding or anything rough, just tight, and remember its only the crankshaft that is turning since the timing belt and oil pump chains are off. Could it be in the transmission, like the torque converser? how could I check that?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Exactly what happened to mine when the engine needed to be replaced under the current recall.

Hope you're under 120k miles.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks and Im at 80K miles. scottybo, was it valve contact, spun bearing, or both? Im putting the engine back together Sunday and calling dealer on Monday. QUESTION - does the recall enable me to get a free engine even if I don't have the 10/100 drive train warranty? Im the second owner so my warranty ended, I confirmed that with the dealer already so I hope the engine replacement recall is able to happen without the warranty.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
DO NOT tell the dealer you did anything to it, or else they’ll try to weasel out of fixing it. Tell them you were driving and it died, that’s all they need to know.

Reactions: scottybo

·
Registered
904 Posts
And another one bites the dust...

Just be glad it didn't catch on fire.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Sonata/2011/engine/engine_caught_fire.shtml

Like mentioned above, return everything to stock before you bring it to the dealer. Make sure the correct spark plugs are in it and make sure it has a hyundai oil filter. You wouldn't believe the stories of the dealer denying and blacklisting cars due to simple mods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts