Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys!
Car dummy over here. Can anyone recommend me a good engine oil? I recently bought a house and now I'm planning on doing the engine oil change and filter on my own. My dealership charges $75 for it. So I might as well just save a bit and do it myself. I made my own ramp with woods so i'm good in that but was just wondering if anyone can recommend me a good engine oil for my Tucson 2016 (Limited). I live in Atlanta, Georgia and it's pretty hot most of the time. Winter time doesn't get below 30 degrees.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Shell, Pennzoil, Castrol synthetic 5W-30 should be more than adequate for it. I don't use Mobil 1 so I don't have any recommendations there. I use Castrol or Pennzoil depending on what's on sale.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Making sure you use the correct oil weight is most important. As noted above, 5W-30 is the general recommended weight for the 1.6L engine. However, your owners manual does suggest different oil weights that can be used based on the temperature range you will be operating the vehicle in. Whether you actually see any change in performance using a different oil weight is something you would have to determine based on how you use the vehicle.
I personally do not have a preferred oil brand but have stuck with the recommended Quaker State branded oil that is recommended in my owners manual. I have run the 5W-30 Full Synthetic in each of the three oils changes I have done. I change it every 5,000 miles and the oil is never too dirty and the quantity removed is never significantly less than what I put in. Whether there is an actual scientific reasoning behind this or nothing more than a marketing scheme, I am not sure. Many will debate this but I have always trusted what the manufacturer, who designed the vehicle, says to use in the vehicle in situations like this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lets remember that there are only a few true 100 percent synthetic oils out there. by law oil only has to have a certain percent of synthetic, in reading some articles this can range from 2 % to 90%.. to be called full synthetic, After some reading on this if it is available off the shelf its probably not 100 % full synthetic... If someone really wants the labeled full synthetic off the shelf { which in reality is a blend } than do a little research and choose a reputable name brand. Would using a 100% vs a blend that most people are buying make a real world difference, hard to say but no matter what I would never run oil to 5000 miles no matter what kind as about 90 % of the cars on the road fall under the sever guidelines.. It always catches my attention that some people try to save a few bucks on one of the most important fluids, and then run it 7500 miles or more....There's plenty of reading out there on this subject..

Reactions: Johns2.0T

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just to tie into the above post, I do my oil changes every 3700 miles (6000 km) but my daily commute is 8 kilometers each way which is horrible for a Direct Injection engine and my oil is usually pretty contaminated with soot and fuel when I change it. I'm pretty sure the revised service schedule for Canada is an oil change every 4000 km now under the severe schedule.

Reactions: Weeds

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just a simple answer:

i use Pennzoil Platinum 5W30, exclusively. It is the only oil on the shelf I found that says it meets the A5 standard. Most others meet the lesser A3 standard.

You can buy it at Walmart in 5 gallon jugs.

I use OEM filters and a new OEM oil pan plug gasket each time. I change the oil every 4000 miles, even though the book says 5000 miles for the turbo engine. Old school.

I have 63,000 miles and no hint of any engine issues.

Simple.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Pennzoil 'Ultra' Platinum is what I utilize in both my gdi's. Internals are coated gold lol 3k oci due to venting 3 ports to atmosphere with no blowby coming back in. Oem filter.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for all the detailed replies. Do you have to use OEM oil filter? I got the oil filter almost like free because the engine oil was in sale and pretty much I got at the price of the engine oil regular price with the filter.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Always use the oem filter

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Do you have to use OEM oil filter?
No you do not. Buy a quality filter. You ask 10 people these questions, you'll get 11 answers.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't use OEM, but I also don't buy the cheap one. I use a WIX XP Synthetic.

Reactions: Weeds

·
Registered
65 Posts
G!
Found these on Amazon

So cheap that I bought 6 of them. Since it's OEM I don't think we can go wrong here right?
Why buy 6 when you only need to buy one at basically the same price, at places like Walmart and your vehicle dealer? Both places sell those filters at either $6-$7.

(Also)... Don't keep your filters for years in a non-insulated garage with wild swings of temperatures and humidity. Every wild swing degrades them. The media is cellulose and paper-like. It can become brittle from dryness or overly damp. Could even begin to see rust eventually, on metallic surfaces.

I don't understand buying six filters for one vehicle that probably only sees 8-12k per year.
My biggest purchases ever (rockauto) were four filters for two vehicles that use the same filter. I keep my filters in a home with constant / same temperatures..... keep them under the finished basement steps.... in the natural gas furnace room where temps are always 65-69 degrees in the winter and 77 degrees air-conditioned in the summer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Why buy 6 when you only need to buy one at basically the same price, at places like Walmart and your vehicle dealer?

Don't keep your filters for years in a non-insulated garage with wild swings of temperatures and humidity.
Why not, approx $5.83 each of a box of 6 oem Hyundai filters is great! Plus why buy 1 filter at "walmart" or even at the stealership every time you need to get an oil change???

I spend no more than $55 bucks with my oil changes.

$25 for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
$6 for oem filter
$20 for Hyundai stealership labor

·
Registered
65 Posts
Why not, approx $5.83 each of a box of 6 oem Hyundai filters is great! Plus why buy 1 filter at "walmart" or even at the stealership every time you need to get an oil change???

I spend no more than $55 bucks with my oil changes.

$25 for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
$6 for oem filter
$20 for Hyundai stealership labor

Why not/
I paid $6 for the same filter at Walmart, dealer, Meijer....etc.
Please tell me how buying six at the same price is a bargain?
Why are you telling me prices for oil changes at shops? When folks buy oil filters, they generally always change the oil themselves.

I spend no more than $30 on my oil changes and I use brands like Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Advance, Mobil-1 and Castrol Edge.
If you like to spend more.... go ahead. If you believe the OEM filter is better than 4-5 others I could mention here, then you've been brainwashed by someone.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Why not/
I paid $6 for the same filter at Walmart, dealer, Meijer....etc.
Please tell me how buying six at the same price is a bargain?
Why are you telling me prices for oil changes at shops? When folks buy oil filters, they generally always change the oil themselves.

I spend no more than $30 on my oil changes and I use brands like Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Advance, Mobil-1 and Castrol Edge.
If you like to spend more.... go ahead. If you believe the OEM filter is better than 4-5 others I could mention here, then you've been brainwashed by someone.
If you read the original post, it simply states he's being charged $75 by the stealership to do everything (oil, filter, labor). I simply stated that it could cost no more than $55 by purchasing PUP, not PP & buying bulk oem filters to meet warranty specs, so they don't have anything to say if they wanted to nit-pik of warranty coverage bs.

Not to say there are better oils and better filters and of course doing this all on your own to save some coin, but you have to take into consideration many people aren't as diligent or knowledgeable on such matters. I was just providing some tips for the OP.

Here is some good research on oil filters for 1.6L turbo GDI's Oil filtration and interesting info

·
Registered
397 Posts
Wkang87,
Important that the chosen engine oil meets Hyundai's recommended engine oil viscosity grade 5W-30 with ACEA 5 or above classification as per owner's manual.
- ACEA A5/B5 oils are Upper Mainline lubricants. They are designed for use in high performance gasoline and light duty diesel engines that are specifically designed to use a low viscosity oil. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. ACEA A5/B5 oils are typically low HTHS (≤3.5cP) SAE 5W-30 based on API Group III base oils. The main physical and chemical requirements for ACEA A5/B5 are shown below:

PENNZOIL ULTRA PLATINUM FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL meets ACEA: A5/B5-10, A5/B5-12 (SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30*)
Don't forget to change the oil filter crush washer / gasket as well (Hyundai OEM part 21513-23001), as Buick72 previously mentioned. Believe it may be included with Hyundai OEM filter 26300-35504.
I believe purchasing several oil filters at once may be beneficial, whether servicing the vehicle yourself or bringing to a service station to perform the service, and you're providing the oil and filter (station just provides the labor). This would prevent you having to locate / sourcing the parts everytime change is needed, and having them already available prior. Especially if unable to locate parts or unavailable when needed.

Considering using one the following synthetic oil filters for next change;
  • Purolator BOSS filter PBL14461
  • FRAM Ultra XG9688
  • Royal Purple oil filter 10-2808

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wkang87,
Important that the chosen engine oil meets Hyundai's recommended engine oil viscosity grade 5W-30 with ACEA 5 or above classification as per owner's manual.
- ACEA A5/B5 oils are Upper Mainline lubricants. They are designed for use in high performance gasoline and light duty diesel engines that are specifically designed to use a low viscosity oil. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. ACEA A5/B5 oils are typically low HTHS (≤3.5cP) SAE 5W-30 based on API Group III base oils. The main physical and chemical requirements for ACEA A5/B5 are shown below:

View attachment 449158

PENNZOIL ULTRA PLATINUM FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL meets ACEA: A5/B5-10, A5/B5-12 (SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30*)
Don't forget to change the oil filter crush washer / gasket as well (Hyundai OEM part 21513-23001), as Buick72 previously mentioned. Believe it may be included with Hyundai OEM filter 26300-35504.
I believe purchasing several oil filters at once may be beneficial, whether servicing the vehicle yourself or bringing to a service station to perform the service, and you're providing the oil and filter (station just provides the labor). This would prevent you having to locate / sourcing the parts everytime change is needed, and having them already available prior. Especially if unable to locate parts or unavailable when needed.

Considering using one the following synthetic oil filters for next change;
  • Purolator BOSS filter PBL14461
  • FRAM Ultra XG9688
  • Royal Purple oil filter 10-2808

Thanks for the very detailed notes.

As far as the Crush Washer/Gasket all was included with the filter that I've ordered. They were all genuine parts from Hyundai. I've decided to go with OEM Oil Filters just to be on the safe side. I'll dig in to see if the Engine Oil I've purchased follows the guide lines. I pretty much just bought the 5W-30 Synthetic that was on sale.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If Amsoil wasn't available I would definitely go with Ultra platinum, { even though its not 100 % synthetic } Nothing else measures up to these too, I don't mind paying a little more for the best.
Full synthetic (API Type III) is highly refined petroleum base with synthetic additives. The 100% synthetic (API Type IV) is formulated with a synthetic base and synthetic additives. Find the oil that you feel comfortable with and stick with it.... :)

This link is dated 7 / 2020 and is a good read ..

Reactions: ST Ken
1 - 20 of 23 Posts