Hyundai Forums banner

Engine oil level high

16K views 95 replies 25 participants last post by  drb1956 
#1 ·
My oil was recently changed. Noticed level was high when I checked it the other day. Tried two times letting the engine cool down for 15-30mins parked on a flat service. Both times showed this level on the dipstick. I know it can be bad for the engine with high oil levels, not sure if this much high is an immediate concern?? I've tried not driving it much since until I can get it into the garage. I don't have the means right now to get under the car and drop some oil out of it or I would. Engine is sounding good and no performance issues.
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

See less See more
#8 ·
^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^ Not only is @kiski 100% correct, it’s NOT extreme in any way. Engine designers know this and that’s exactly why most owner manuals include a notice or caution usually in bold print, saying Do Not Overfill in section for checking oil level. Engines are designed to maintain a pressurized microscopic film of oil between moving metal surfaces, not allowing metal to metal contact. Aerated foamed oil will allow some contact that then shaves off fine metal particles that circulate with the oil from then on leading to faster metal surface damage.

I'll get it in asap. Unfortunately there's probably 800-900 miles on it since it was changed. Hopefully no damage. Not sure how I'd know.
Most likely you won’t know for a long time (unknown), but for sure it will shorten engine life (also unknown). Not to mention the lower fuel mileage because if crank shaft beating it way thru a volume of oil.

#5 ·
Three comments.
1. Looks like you have the dipstick tipped back so the oil on it can run towards the handle (above the full mark).... Always keep the dip stick pointed down or slightly below level when checking.
2. Always make sure you check the oil with the vehicle on a level surface. Often it is best checked PRIOR to starting the vehicle in the morning so all the oil is drained down to the oil pan.
3. If the oil was recently changed, who did it and how was it done? If the oil plug was removed, oil drained, then the plug re-inserted AND the car was started/driven prior to the oil change, it is possible the oil was not allowed to properly drain. Many vehicles with auto stop/start (or ISG) features take longer to drain the oil as it is better to keep some oil in the engine longer once the vehicle is turned off (due to ISG features - you want oil throughout the engine when it restarts). One should let the oil drain for a few minutes once the oil plug is removed before re-inserting the oil plug. If the oil is not allowed to drain, then refilled with specified amount of oil, you can result in an over full situation. I would not go to one of the quick lube places for an oil change since they are all about how quickly they can get you in and out (don't let the oil completely drain). If the car has not been started for 10-15 minutes prior to an oil change, all the oil should be in the oil pan so in that case, you could drain and reinsert the plug without waiting.
Don't know if any of that applies, but something to consider.

#7 ·
Three comments.
1. Looks like you have the dipstick tipped back so the oil on it can run towards the handle (above the full mark).... Always keep the dip stick pointed down or slightly below level when checking.
2. Always make sure you check the oil with the vehicle on a level surface. Often it is best checked PRIOR to starting the vehicle in the morning so all the oil is drained down to the oil pan.
3. If the oil was recently changed, who did it and how was it done? If the oil plug was removed, oil drained, then the plug re-inserted AND the car was started/driven prior to the oil change, it is possible the oil was not allowed to properly drain. Many vehicles with auto stop/start (or ISG) features take longer to drain the oil as it is better to keep some oil in the engine longer once the vehicle is turned off (due to ISG features - you want oil throughout the engine when it restarts). One should let the oil drain for a few minutes once the oil plug is removed before re-inserting the oil plug. If the oil is not allowed to drain, then refilled with specified amount of oil, you can result in an over full situation. I would not go to one of the quick lube places for an oil change since they are all about how quickly they can get you in and out (don't let the oil completely drain). If the car has not been started for 10-15 minutes prior to an oil change, all the oil should be in the oil pan so in that case, you could drain and reinsert the plug without waiting.
Don't know if any of that applies, but something to consider.
1. I may have a little but I know when I pulled it out the level was right around the same spot.
2. Yes car was level.
3. I just purchased the car a month ago previous dealer changed the oil before delivery. It was a remote buy so I can't take it back. Taking into a local garage this afternoon.

#9 ·
Looks to me it is about 2.5 litres over full and about right at the level where it is about to touch rotating items. You may be in luck as the oil level drops by approximately 2 litres soon as it starts. If you didn't slosh the oil around corners and up/down hills it probably wouldn't have contacted the moving components. Make sure of the measurement and take it back/drain some. A small tube down the dipstick hole can be used to siphon out extra oil. MItyVac?

#13 ·
Ya good point no reason to trust the previous tech that changed the oil if he over filled by 1.5 liters. Now that the oil level is good I have a few days I can drive it but plan to go back in and change the oil and filter just to be safe. I've always been pro full synthetic but recently read there's not that much extra value for full synthetic with these new engines especially considering its twice the price.

#11 ·
Best thing to do at this point is drain the oil, change the filter, and fill correctly. That being said, I have a 2021 Kona Limited with the 1.6L turbo engine I bought new with 4mi on the odometer. The owner's manual clearly states to fill with 4.75qts when performing an oil change with filter change. It has now had four oil changes, allowed to drain for at least 15 minutes, each with 4.75qts of oil, and the morning after each oil change the dipstick will read ~1/2" above full. And after 5K miles of driving, still 1/2" above full.

Either the dipstick is the wrong one, or the fill quantity is wrong.

#84 ·
I am glad I found this quote . Just took my dad's took 2016 Tucson with the 1.6 T engine. Had Hyundai do an oil change and when I got it back about a 1/2 inch above the full line... That's after letting it sit for 10 minutes or so after being driven.. Also over a few weeks it never moved never changed never went down below or at the full level line Many people say that's where it should be that these dipsticks are not properly calibrated or generic.

Anyway after a 1000 miles it's now only a quarter inch above the high level hash mark. My suspicion is it is indeed burning oil and I'm trying to figure out how much. I figure when it gets to the full level line I'll start to slowly add oil to bring it again backup about a 1/2 inch above the line where the sealer had it...and I'm gonna guess that's gonna be a quarter of oil?

#20 ·
That ridiculous level was what I observed even after 1hr of engine stopped, which was impossible since I only poured 5L in :ROFLMAO:, and it was right after diy oil change and moved the SF back in the garage.
The level was as expected the next morning, before starting the engine. Therefore, always check in the morning, on the same parking spot.

I suspect the pure "oil" level is now low. Even if the level is ok, it doesn't mean much because of oil solution which occurs daily until a specific saturation level is reached, then the level stabilizes.

#22 · (Edited)
This may be obvious to some but did you wipe the dipstick after removing it the first time, and reinsert, then remove again to view the level?

I also see more oil above the marks than below. It appears the oil is running down the stick prior to the photo with little appearing on the end of the stick.

#23 ·
Font Motor vehicle Screenshot Automotive design Engineering

#26 ·
Consensus groupthink of a wrong method doesn't make it right.

#48 · (Edited)
Engine oil has a coefficient of expansion of 0.0007/deg-F.
Plugging in the numbers, oil heating from 0F (dang cold) to 200F (operating temp) expands by 14%, or 0.7 qt out of 5qt.
Some of that is offset by lack of drainage to the pan after only 5 minutes.
So if I keep the oil level between the full and add lines when the engine is cold it will land very near full when hot.

I've never seen an engine that can't run just fine 1/2 qt or even a full qt over full.
Hyundai does not make magical engines that are super sensitive to oil level, viscosity. oil filter brand etc.
Owner's manuals are a highly simplified compromise between Engineering, Sales, and Legal.
They're not technically optimal.

Reactions: zeng
#55 ·
So.....if you check you oil with the engine cold...add oil to the fill mark.....when hot you are at 5.7qt approx......
Then if you have a 2.0t and short trip it will be even higher...... thats where problem really starts

Even with actual math people still say .... no sorry it's wrong.
My grand pappy taught me how to Check my oil and that's how I'm gonna do it.
🤪
Ok now I'm done.......

#49 ·
I recently got the first oil change service at my local dealer, and I requested dealer not to use their suggested oil (QS) and to use the specific 0W30 oil which bought myself. I supplied them 7 quarts (1 quart per bottle.. around 6.62 liter in 7x bottles) and post the oil change, there was just about 0.42 (liter) left in the bottle. So about 0.4 was used more. When I checked dipstick at dealer, it was just about full but i wasn't able to check very clearly, as the colour of dipstick tip in 22 model (and maybe 21 as well) is all orange - so kinda make it difficult to see when the oil is new..

I checked in morning (cold engine) - still some what hard to tell its full.. I wonder where does the excess oil goes - I guess maybe some of oil sits in oil filter?

Attachments

#54 ·
the colour of dipstick tip in 22 model (and maybe 21 as well) is all orange
My 2017 Tucson has the same orange dipstick end.
I actually find it easier to see the oil level on the smooth side, but you have to hold it at just the right angle.

Reactions: Turbofan
#57 ·
I use common sense for the 2.0T. 5L in, after 1hrs, level is still ridiculously high (????) similar to OP's picture; level is F in the morning. So I only check in the next morning, and 2-3 times to the next oil change. I also look at the ground every morning. Sometimes common sense supercedes theory 😆

#67 ·
Even though I had the oil level corrected (1.5L high) two weeks ago, I went ahead and replaced it all and the filter yesterday. Better to be safe I guess. Just went with semi synthetic I know many of you will say that's useless but I believe as long as you keep it changed regularly even a good conventional oil will protect you. I was a full synthetic believer till recent and I know its probably a little better but I don't plan on keeping the car for 10 years so why spend the extra $50 every oil change. Of course I say that but I'll continue to use full synthetic in my 6.2L Camaro but its only driven 5 months a year so its only one oil change a year.

#69 ·
Synthetic oil isn't really all that expensive. There are some quality inexpensive options such as SuperTech and Kirkland brand from Costco. I have used the Kirkland oil quite a bit and sent in samples for analysis. It is a pretty solid oil....priced at about $17 for 5 quarts.

#70 ·
I agree no engine oil can mess up the engine if following the recommended OCI. However, when there is other issue at play, like gas dilution, something better might reduce the impact. I can confirm on 2 cars that Pennzoil Ultra improves fuel consumption. For DYI, price difference between conventional and full synthetic oils is ~$10, and I extended the OCI to 1 year; not on the 2.0T, not during warranty, and need to be tested incrementally if it can endure the 1 yrs OCI.

#73 ·
I think its a little more than a $10 difference but either way I stopped changing my own oil years ago. I don't have the time or patience anymore plus having to depose of the oil not worth saving $30 IMO. If I owned a car lift and a bigger garage I'd probably do it myself still.

Good point with full synthetic being better if you had an issue like gas dilution (which I might have) I didn't really think of that. Also didn't know it could improve gas mileage, something these Santa Fe's could use I find my car terrible on gas. Especially compared to our Ford Edge 2.0L which is dramatically better on gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.