Hyundai Forums banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.4 L
344 Posts
I doubt there has been an engine failure due to a lack of oil no matter what method you use to check your oil.

Reactions: reus49

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
5,487 Posts
The
Dipstick measurements are calibrated for a HOT engine.......this is how it is...
Sorry fact
99% of engines are designed this way...
Our last audi had no dipstick...
It used a sensor in the pan....guess what temp the engine needed to be to get any reading?
Go ahead guess
And we thought you were done!

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Even though I had the oil level corrected (1.5L high) two weeks ago, I went ahead and replaced it all and the filter yesterday. Better to be safe I guess. Just went with semi synthetic I know many of you will say that's useless but I believe as long as you keep it changed regularly even a good conventional oil will protect you. I was a full synthetic believer till recent and I know its probably a little better but I don't plan on keeping the car for 10 years so why spend the extra $50 every oil change. Of course I say that but I'll continue to use full synthetic in my 6.2L Camaro but its only driven 5 months a year so its only one oil change a year.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
1,507 Posts
Even though I had the oil level corrected (1.5L high) two weeks ago, I went ahead and replaced it all and the filter yesterday. Better to be safe I guess. Just went with semi synthetic I know many of you will say that's useless but I believe as long as you keep it changed regularly even a good conventional oil will protect you. I was a full synthetic believer till recent and I know its probably a little better but I don't plan on keeping the car for 10 years so why spend the extra $50 every oil change. Of course I say that but I'll continue to use full synthetic in my 6.2L Camaro but its only driven 5 months a year so its only one oil change a year.
Synthetic oil isn't really all that expensive. There are some quality inexpensive options such as SuperTech and Kirkland brand from Costco. I have used the Kirkland oil quite a bit and sent in samples for analysis. It is a pretty solid oil....priced at about $17 for 5 quarts.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,816 Posts
I agree no engine oil can mess up the engine if following the recommended OCI. However, when there is other issue at play, like gas dilution, something better might reduce the impact. I can confirm on 2 cars that Pennzoil Ultra improves fuel consumption. For DYI, price difference between conventional and full synthetic oils is ~$10, and I extended the OCI to 1 year; not on the 2.0T, not during warranty, and need to be tested incrementally if it can endure the 1 yrs OCI.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Synthetic oil isn't really all that expensive. There are some quality inexpensive options such as SuperTech and Kirkland brand from Costco. I have used the Kirkland oil quite a bit and sent in samples for analysis. It is a pretty solid oil....priced at about $17 for 5 quarts.
Unfortunately for us Canadians everything is cheaper in the US. 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic is $60 here if you want to do it yourself. Plus $10-$15 for the filter. And even more if your having a garage do the work. It cost me $210 to change my oil at Mr Lube in my Camaro last summer. Now that car does take 10 quarts of full synthetic but you see what I'm saying.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
1,507 Posts
Unfortunately for us Canadians everything is cheaper in the US. 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic is $60 here if you want to do it yourself. Plus $10-$15 for the filter. And even more if your having a garage do the work. It cost me $210 to change my oil at Mr Lube in my Camaro last summer. Now that car does take 10 quarts of full synthetic but you see what I'm saying.
About $25 for 5 quarts in Canada. Should be cheaper if purchased in store.

Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot Multimedia

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I agree no engine oil can mess up the engine if following the recommended OCI. However, when there is other issue at play, like gas dilution, something better might reduce the impact. I can confirm on 2 cars that Pennzoil Ultra improves fuel consumption. For DYI, price difference between conventional and full synthetic oils is ~$10, and I extended the OCI to 1 year; not on the 2.0T, not during warranty, and need to be tested incrementally if it can endure the 1 yrs OCI.
I think its a little more than a $10 difference but either way I stopped changing my own oil years ago. I don't have the time or patience anymore plus having to depose of the oil not worth saving $30 IMO. If I owned a car lift and a bigger garage I'd probably do it myself still.

Good point with full synthetic being better if you had an issue like gas dilution (which I might have) I didn't really think of that. Also didn't know it could improve gas mileage, something these Santa Fe's could use I find my car terrible on gas. Especially compared to our Ford Edge 2.0L which is dramatically better on gas.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2.5 Turbo, wDCT, Calligraphy Red
85 Posts

Doesn't the owner manual for 2019 SF suggests or recommends for full synthetic? If you still plan to go with semi-synthetic, will you be changing oil more often like ~4k km? For canadian weather, I think its best to stay away from semi-synthetic/convention oil.

For SF 2021 and 2022 owner's manual: it says the following under Severe driving condition: (i assume it should be same for 2019 SF):

• Repeated driving short distance of less than 5 miles (8 km) in normal temperature or less than 10 miles (16 km) in freezing temperature
• Extensive engine idling or low speed driving for long distances
• Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt-spread roads
• Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather
• Driving in heavy dust conditions
• Driving in heavy traffic area
• Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road repeatedly
• Towing a trailer or using a camper, or roof rack
• Driving as a patrol car, taxi, other commercial use of vehicle towing
• Driving over 106 miles (170 km/h)
• Frequently driving in stop-and-go condition
• Engine oil usage which is not recommended (mineral, semi-synthetic, lower grade spec, etc.)

I'm sure we do fall in some of the above conditions.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Doesn't the owner manual for 2019 SF suggests or recommends for full synthetic? If you still plan to go with semi-synthetic, will you be changing oil more often like ~4k km? For canadian weather, I think its best to stay away from semi-synthetic/convention oil.

For SF 2021 and 2022 owner's manual: it says the following under Severe driving condition: (i assume it should be same for 2019 SF):

• Repeated driving short distance of less than 5 miles (8 km) in normal temperature or less than 10 miles (16 km) in freezing temperature
• Extensive engine idling or low speed driving for long distances
• Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt-spread roads
• Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather
• Driving in heavy dust conditions
• Driving in heavy traffic area
• Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road repeatedly
• Towing a trailer or using a camper, or roof rack
• Driving as a patrol car, taxi, other commercial use of vehicle towing
• Driving over 106 miles (170 km/h)
• Frequently driving in stop-and-go condition
• Engine oil usage which is not recommended (mineral, semi-synthetic, lower grade spec, etc.)

I'm sure we do fall in some of the above conditions.
I checked my manual this is the only two pages with info I don't see where it says what type of oil to use. Maybe different for the 2.0L vs 2.5L turbo engines ?

Font Material property Paper Design Rectangle

Font Material property Publication Parallel Paper

61 - 80 of 95 Posts