Hyundai Forums banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5T
617 Posts
Sure....physics is wrong....
Thermal expansion of fluids is wrong.....
Hyundai's specifics regarding said issue is wrong..

Honestly.......sometimes I really wonder around here.
You’re not going to detect thermal expansion on a dipstick. Besides, when hot, the fluid level will be lower because the oil is distributed throughout the engine. The reason you check the fluid when cold is to allow the oil to return to the pan (where the dipstick is measuring.)

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
5,487 Posts
You’re not going to detect thermal expansion on a dipstick. Besides, when hot, the fluid level will be lower because the oil is distributed throughout the engine. The reason you check the fluid when cold is to allow the oil to return to the pan (where the dipstick is measuring.)
You are wasting your time with him! He is set in his ways. I agree with you and thats why I check mine in the morning.

·
Registered
933 Posts
According to the service manual you are to wait 5 mins after shutdown, not 30.
Go right in-between...... 15 minutes.
But the best check is when the engine is cold, after sitting overnight.

One can check the oil after five minutes in the off-position. But that's using watery-thin 5w20. Plus, most of that thin watery oil shears down to 7.5cst after a thousand miles - even 6.5cst at 4k miles, thus becoming even thinner than virgin new oil at approx 8.5cst. Most of the 5/10w30s are in the 10-11cst virgin range and the good oils shouldn't venture below 8cst. even at 3k. Some of the 5w20s, when run to 7.5k OCI, will shear down to 6.3cst...... yikes, that's friction news for diluted turbo engines.

So if members here are running 7.5k OCIs on watery-thin 5w20, I suppose they could check the oil dipstick after a five minute shutdown. Just be sure to hold a paper towel under the dipstick reading, because it's definitely going to drip like water and may smell gassy also.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Engine oil has a coefficient of expansion of 0.0007/deg-F.
Plugging in the numbers, oil heating from 0F (dang cold) to 200F (operating temp) expands by 14%, or 0.7 qt out of 5qt.
Some of that is offset by lack of drainage to the pan after only 5 minutes.
So if I keep the oil level between the full and add lines when the engine is cold it will land very near full when hot.

I've never seen an engine that can't run just fine 1/2 qt or even a full qt over full.
Hyundai does not make magical engines that are super sensitive to oil level, viscosity. oil filter brand etc.
Owner's manuals are a highly simplified compromise between Engineering, Sales, and Legal.
They're not technically optimal.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2.5 Turbo, wDCT, Calligraphy Red
85 Posts
I recently got the first oil change service at my local dealer, and I requested dealer not to use their suggested oil (QS) and to use the specific 0W30 oil which bought myself. I supplied them 7 quarts (1 quart per bottle.. around 6.62 liter in 7x bottles) and post the oil change, there was just about 0.42 (liter) left in the bottle. So about 0.4 was used more. When I checked dipstick at dealer, it was just about full but i wasn't able to check very clearly, as the colour of dipstick tip in 22 model (and maybe 21 as well) is all orange - so kinda make it difficult to see when the oil is new..

I checked in morning (cold engine) - still some what hard to tell its full.. I wonder where does the excess oil goes - I guess maybe some of oil sits in oil filter?

Attachments

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm done with this thread.......
Do what you want to do.

It can take 20-30mins of steady driving to get oil to its normal proper operating temp.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
5,487 Posts
Do what you want to do.

It can take 20-30mins of steady driving to get oil to its normal proper operating temp.
Do what you want to do.

OK!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Engine oil has a coefficient of expansion of 0.0007/deg-F.
Plugging in the numbers, oil heating from 0F (dang cold) to 200F (operating temp) expands by 14%, or 0.7 qt out of 5qt.
Some of that is offset by lack of drainage to the pan after only 5 minutes.
So if I keep the oil level between the full and add lines when the engine is cold it will land very near full when hot.

I've never seen an engine that can't run just fine 1/2 qt or even a full qt over full.
Hyundai does not make magical engines that are super sensitive to oil level, viscosity. oil filter brand etc.
Owner's manuals are a highly simplified compromise between Engineering, Sales, and Legal.
They're not technically optimal.
So.....if you check you oil with the engine cold...add oil to the fill mark.....when hot you are at 5.7qt approx......
Then if you have a 2.0t and short trip it will be even higher...... thats where problem really starts

Even with actual math people still say .... no sorry it's wrong.
My grand pappy taught me how to Check my oil and that's how I'm gonna do it.
🤪
Ok now I'm done.......

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Do what you want to do.

I like to check Oil level after vehicle is hot because that's really the true reading after its been heated up and expanded in volume where it truly stands running in the engine & shows on the dipstick right? if you check it cold its a little lower reading check it hot, its to me the more acurate true reading.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,816 Posts
I use common sense for the 2.0T. 5L in, after 1hrs, level is still ridiculously high (????) similar to OP's picture; level is F in the morning. So I only check in the next morning, and 2-3 times to the next oil change. I also look at the ground every morning. Sometimes common sense supercedes theory 😆

·
Registered
933 Posts
I like to check Oil level after vehicle is hot because that's really the true reading after its been heated up and expanded in volume where it truly stands running in the engine & shows on the dipstick right? if you check it cold its a little lower reading check it hot, its to me the more acurate true reading.
More oil reaches the oil pan after a long,overnight pause of the engine running - thus your now-transitioned cold oil that's been let sitting overnight, is the best read on the next day dipstick, prior to running the engine again. The thicker your viscosity is - the longer the hot-to-cold transitioning oil needs, to return to the bottom of the oil pan - which now becomes the truest dipstick read of oil volume possible.

This is not Rocket Science being taught here John. It's welcoming you to the school of Common Sense.

·
Registered
825 Posts
More oil reaches the oil pan after a long,overnight pause of the engine running - thus your now-transitioned cold oil that's been let sitting overnight, is the best read on the next day dipstick, prior to running the engine again. The thicker your viscosity is - the longer the hot-to-cold transitioning oil needs, to return to the bottom of the oil pan - which now becomes the truest dipstick read of oil volume possible.

This is not Rocket Science being taught here John. It's welcoming you to the school of Common Sense.
The
Dipstick measurements are calibrated for a HOT engine.......this is how it is...
Sorry fact
99% of engines are designed this way...
Our last audi had no dipstick...
It used a sensor in the pan....guess what temp the engine needed to be to get any reading?
Go ahead guess

·
Registered
825 Posts
99% of engines state to check and read the oil level with the engine hot......this is a fact.
Plain and simple....
Whatever logic you want to use to verify your method is wrong...
Otherwise it would state so in any manual.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts