Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. Today (sep 30, 2018) I changed my engine oil for hyundai santa fe 2002 2.7 L. . I used mobil 1 annual protection 5w30. The filter i bought was also from mobil 1, M1-108A. However, when I put the new filter to my car, I found some oil was dripping from the joint between the filter rubber guard and the cars metallic part (this is the first time i tried mobil1 filter). I checked multiple times and it seemed that filter was not fitting properly (looked like the rubber guard was a little narrow comparing to my old filter). So, I put the old filter back. This old filter is FRAM XG9688. It did not leak any oil. The fram company says this filter can last upto 20,000 miles and mine was only 5000 miles old (i change oil with filter every 3K or 5k, full synthetic, myself). Since I did not change the filter this time i am wondering should I replace the old filter with a new fram one or just wait 5000 or 10,000 miles? also, will all the oil come out when i remove the filter? I will wait until I get your reply. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
I run my XG9688s for two oil changes.

Having taken it off once you should tighten it more than you usually would. The rubber has already taken a set.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Stop by a Hyundai or Kia dealer and get you a handfull of oil filter to carry on with later oil changes.. Swap filter when you have time..

Change filter, start up for 30 second,, shut off, and adjust oil level

Reactions: Raihan Kabir Khan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
20k miles the filter is rated. So go til the next oil change.
thanks. I might wait until the next oil change. I was thinking of changing the oil after 10,000 miles although this mobil 1 annual protection is supposed to last 20,000 miles. Because this filter issue, I am thinking of changing the oil and filter after 5,000 miles now. I do not know why the brand new mobil 1 filter was leaking some oil but am not going to use that filter brand again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts