Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this is my first post :)

I have a 2017 Elantra Limited and my car notified me that I was due for service soon at around 3600 miles. I looked in the manual and saw that the 1st recommend service is at 7500 miles. I noticed that the 3750 mile 1st service is recommend for severe driving conditions. I bought or rather leased the car in a city which is where my school is at and I can understand why city driving is considered severe driving. The thing is I don't meet any of the severe driving conditions. I use my car to go to the store for food one a week and home every other week which is all highway. I rarely hit city traffic or drive in the city since the highway entrance is a mile or less from the school and the store is right over the bridge.

My question now is do I have to adhere to the severe driving conditions set by the dealer in the city or can I follow the normal driving conditions? I don't want it to void any warranty I have in any way. On the dealers service site, they only list severe factory condition while the Hyundai dealer back at home list the normal and severe together depending on what level you meet.

I don't want to call the dealer just yet because I feel like they're going to say it has to be done no matter what but if I don't, I don't want to. If I don't have to, I'd like to have the car's computer set to give me service warnings for the normal schedule and not the severe one but again I don't even know if this is possible.

·
Registered
882 Posts
there are the most metal chips during the first oil change. My suggestion is that do the first 2 oil changes as soon as possible, so the engine can last longer

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Welcome to the forum. How long have you had the car? Based on your description I’m guessing about 6 months. Either way its probably due if you still have the original oil from the factory. Just change it and adjust your service interval from there.

·
Registered
413 Posts
change the first oil now,

then change the oil as per the book or oil change light (your choice). personally I would do it by the book for whatever driving you actually do. learn how to cancel the light (it's not reading the oil's ability to lubricate, it's just trying to guess when it's due, based on number of starts and other things)

·
Registered
976 Posts
I just picked up my Limited Ultimate a few weeks ago. It's a 2017 with a build date of Nov 2016. First thing I did was drop the oil. Left the filter for now.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Up in the air on this subject, first new car was in 1957 and for years used break in oil, if you changed that too soon, would end up with an oil burner, needed to seat the piston rings.

With the Hyundai, dealer said to follow the owners manual, could be up to, but not to exceed 7,500 miles, a lot has changed since then with the precision of parts. But since for the first 500 miles, mostly did in town driving, not easy to vary your speed on the highway without getting rear ended. So considered this severe and changed it at 3750 miles plus the filter.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'd get your first one done on time. After that, technically you can go to the 7500 mile mark on your oil changes, though it's not recommended. If you plan on turning your car in after your lease, from a real persons perspective, feel free to do the 7500 oil changes. If you plan on keeping it, I'd stick with the severe.

- Advise from a Hyundai dealership service advisor, Me

·
Registered
915 Posts
...then change the oil as per the book or oil change light (your choice)...
I was not aware that the AD Elantra had an oil change indicator...and I'm one of those owner's manual readers. Guess I'll have to go look that one up again.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Although not Hyundai, I run the factory fill for the full OCI on my Honda cars. Honda supposedly uses a moly-rich break in oil that they recommend you don't prematurely dump. Not sure if Hyundai uses a similar special oil. If not, I too will do my first change @3750 miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you live in an area that has salt on the road to melt ice you may need to follow the reduced mileage oil changes. The Canadian owner manual marks it as severe driving conditions. Not sure it's the same for the American version of the owners manual. They make me do mine every 3750 miles (6000 km) because practically all of Canada uses salt on the roads. I don't see what salt has to do with engine oil but oh well.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Here is what my USA manual says:

Replace Oil and Filter Every 3,750 miles (6,000 km) or 6 months under severe usage conditions:

A - Repeatedly driving short distances of less than 5 miles
(8 km) in normal temperature or less than 10 miles (16 km)
in freezing temperature
B - Extensive engine idling or low speed driving for long dis-
tances
C- Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt-
spread roads
D- Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in
very cold weather
E - Driving in sandy areas
F - Driving in heavy traffic area over 90°F (32°C)
G- Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road
H- Towing a Trailer, or using a camper, or roof rack
I - Driving as a patrol car, taxi, other commercial use or vehicle
towing
J - Driving over 106 mph (170 km/h)
K - Frequently driving in stop-and-go conditions

I meet at least 5 of those. H, I , & J ain't gone happen in my car. :laugh:

I changed FF at dealership at 2,241 because I it felt right. When to do the first oil change an individual choice. The right answer is what you choose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts