Hyundai Forums banner

engine noise

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  canderson 
#1 ·
Here's a interesting problem, I had a noise like a loud squealing when it was really cold but today it was 40 and it was making the same noise but somewhat more quiet. This is a new alternator after the gasket oil leak which was done last year could this be another alternator going bad? The sound does go away after its been running for a few minutes. sorry sound file was too big to add.

#3 ·
thanks the noise only started to happen when it was real cold and that was probably 9 months after the alternator was replaced, now it appears to happen after the car has been sitting all night and not as loud, I have the noise on a quicktime file so I will see what a dealer can make of it.

#6 ·
Here's a interesting problem, I had a noise like a loud squealing when it was really cold but today it was 40 and it was making the same noise but somewhat more quiet.
In my case, the squealing noise when it's very cold, 10~20ºF (= -12 ~ -7 ºC)
is fixed by replacing the power steering fluid to Valvoline Maxlife ATF.
Yes, it is Maxlife Dexron / Mercon ATF, which is synthetic base fluid I used also in my transmission.

#7 ·
I assume the squeal was coming from the serp belt due to high resistance when trying to turn the pump? Unusual solution. Belt should have no trouble turning the pump with stock fluid, even at those temperatures (which are pretty tame compared to what others see every winter).

PS pumps usually groan (not squeal) when they're unhappy about things like this.

#9 ·
I had the dealer look at it and let them here the video but they didnt see anything wrong and since it only happens when its real cold looks like I have to wait till next winter or something fails. Someone else has said it might be the idler pulley or tensioner pulley bearing as crime_sp said, is there any speific thing to watch out for when they fail? Like will it start making noise all the time or just fail and snap some belt?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.