Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed lately that when my car is slowing down I hear a clapping noise in the engine. Its almost as if something is slapping something very fast and as soon as I speed up I can no longer hear it. Does anyone else have this sound when driving? Is this normal or should I be worried?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I have noticed lately that when my car is slowing down I hear a clapping noise in the engine. Its almost as if something is slapping something very fast and as soon as I speed up I can no longer hear it. Does anyone else have this sound when driving? Is this normal or should I be worried?
No need to worry unless you're over 100k miles. Have the dealer check it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I just youtube piston slap and thats what it sounds like. Does this hurt the engine because I take really good care of the engine so I dont understand why it would be doing it. Also, I'm worried if hyundai will try to screw me because I do my own oil changes

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I do not use hyundai oil filters and now that you mention that I just started noticing it and I recently changed my oil and used a K and N oil filter and that is the first time I have used one of those. I always used Bosch ones and never had a problem. Should I change out the filter or just deal with the noise until next oil change? Is there a good chance that if I change filters the noise will go away and am I hurting my engine now or just having it make noises?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that is causing the noise, then yes I agree it is garbage. Never had a problem when I used Bosch ones but im not even sure if that is causing the problem. I noticed today the noise pretty much does it on cold starts and then gets quieter as the car gets warmer. It doesnt completely go away just not nearly as noticeable as when I first start the car or if it is warmer outside. Any ideas?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Given it's known that some filters can cause engine noise I would change out the filter and go from there. Better not to risk the possibility that it is causing harm to the engine.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I agree on changing the filter. You will only loose about a half quart of oil when you change it and then if it still makes the noise I would take it to the dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts