Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
i have a 2007 santa fe 2.2 CDX+ and am expeiencing excessive noise in the engine. started at low speed. sounds like ball bearings going around in a washing machine. also experienced the loss of the clutch and slight power surges. Driving over the weekend on the motorway the noise occured at 50 - 55mph for approx 35 minutes and then a very audible 'clunk' occured and the noise stopped. I am taking it to the dealer but the noise has now stopped, for the time being. does anybody have any idea what it might be. The dealer has already done a test drive and mentioned it could be the fly wheel - the advice was to continue to drive untill car broke down properly?!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Possibly a problem with the duel mass flywheel, How many miles? known problem on all modern diesel cars, not just Hyundai, check out HOCUK lots of threads there, most associated with early failure when used for towing. Doesn't happen in north America as the gas/petrol variants don't use DMF

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (dartman @ May 11 2010, 12:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321787
Possibly a problem with the duel mass flywheel, How many miles? known problem on all modern diesel cars, not just Hyundai, check out HOCUK lots of threads there, most associated with early failure when used for towing. Doesn't happen in north America as the gas/petrol variants don't use DMF
the car has done 29700 miles so not a lot. and yes it is used for towing a twin axel caravan - but well within the weight recommended that the hyundai can tow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (dartman @ May 12 2010, 03:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322020
You're definitely in the ball park for DMF failure, its irrespective of whether you're within the towing limit, it's to do with the flywheel construction.
thanks for your time to reply - my car has been to the garage and they identified a DMF failure. The part costs £400 and labour is £500, fortunately under warranty - but apparently my clutch as 1/3 of its life left (only done 30K miles) so getting this replaced as the labour has been paid for, but still a clutch is going to cost £300 - ouch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.