Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I was hoping someone could possibly point me in the right direction with a problem I'm having.

I have a 2002 Elantra GLS with almost 120,000 miles on the engine. Just recently there's been a grinding/whining noise when I start the engine that goes away after the car warms up in a minute or two (It's more noticable when it's colder outside). The belts are all relatively new within the last year. I've been chalking it up to the cold temperature outside, but I've noticed the last couple of days that the engine will make a high-pitched noise when I accelerate. It sounds similar to the noise you'd hear if the car were in reverse. It only lasts briefly and goes away after I've been driving the car for a few minutes.

It made a similar noise this summer and it turned out to be a power steering leak (The noise disapeared after they fixed it) I had the power steering system looked at again, but no leaks were detected this time.

Any ideas as to what this might be would be appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi... usually this happens when the fan belt is old and wearing...but you say its quite new... still I would recommend you to install a new one;They are very cheap and easy to install...:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts