Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am currently a new user and hoping you guys can help me love my sonata all over again. I have a annoying issue with my vehicle that sounds like a dieseling noise coming from the timing chain side of the engine. I am currently attending school for automotive mechanics and my teacher and i took the stethascope to the chain cover and noticed some louder than normal noise! I was taking the car to ontario hyundai where they had been telling me for weeks it was normal and they could not find any unusual noises. I finally figured out they were not letting the engine come to operating temperature which is when the engine noise starts and becomes the greatest ( diesel sound). So the technician which was actually the shop forman said the noise was very unusal and they need to go ahead with the timing chain. Picked the vehicle up the next day , was very please the noise had dissapeared .. Not only 1000 to 2000 km later the noise had returned , took the vehicle back to the dealership they looked over the engine said the noise was normal mind you i then asked if the noise was normal being the EXACT same noise from the initial diagnosis then why did they go ahead with such a big job for a timing tensioner..................they were lost for words. Then i switched to sisley hyundai because i did try other techs at the dealer and had no luck. Sisley then took a electronic stethascope and found unusual noise from the timing chain cover and they wanted to do the tensioner again!!!!!So i presented them with the work order from ontario hyundai showing the same job was completed not even 2000 km prior but they still wanted to do it. Job was done again and noise did not dissapear so if anyone has had these problems or something similar please any feedback would greatly be appreciated i need the headaches to stop. The engine is the 2.4 litre 2008 Sonata ........Any one heard of any TSB's for this vehicle.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

If you do a search on it, you'll find several posts here with the same issue. Some think it's the fuel injectors, valves/tappets, or timing chain tensioner. Response from Hyundai almost always seems to be that it's 'normal', so many of us just accept it and try to live with it.

My 2009 Sonata 2.4L engine has the same diesel noise. Just like yours, it is not there when you first start the car, but as soon as the RPMs start to come down to their normal range, the diesel sound is there. It's pretty loud with the hood open and standing right in front of it.
If all they did to your car was to change your chain tensioner and the noise went away for a little while, then it's very possible it's the chain tensioner again. But, then again, they did change it for the second time, but this time the noise was still there.
Anyway, whatever the issue, it seems like that's a weak area on those cars. After all, Hyundai did have a recall on their 2006-2008 V6 engines due to faulty timing chain tensioners.

·
3,861 Posts
Just wondering has anyone tried lucas or any type of oil additives to change viscosity of the oil. If so did any change in sound occur?
[/quote

The only thing that keeps our 2007 Sonata 2.4l quiet is a 5w-30 oil. I tried several different brands and so far Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w-30 has worked the best.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (wymi @ May 8 2010, 07:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320831
QUOTE (passwordjdm @ May 7 2010, 11:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320787
Just wondering has anyone tried lucas or any type of oil additives to change viscosity of the oil. If so did any change in sound occur?
The only thing that keeps our 2007 Sonata 2.4l quiet is a 5w-30 oil. I tried several different brands and so far Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w-30 has worked the best.
[/quote]

Agree with wymi.

You can use the heaviest oil recommended by Hyundai. I suspect the 5W20 oil is recommended by
default specifically to improve gas mileage, but the other recommended oils are fine too. If you have
super cold winters, you can always go back to 5W20.

From the owner's manual for 2006 V6, (which is all I have presently):

ENGINE OIL:
API grade SJ, SL or ABOVE / ILSAC grade GF-3 or ABOVE and fuel efficient
oil. Use SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 or 10W-30 if normal temperatures are above
0°F (-18°C). See page 6-5 or 9-4.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (extremeactive @ May 11 2010, 04:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321669
Dear All,

I am having the same issue with my 06 Sonata. It really sounds like a diesel and it bugs the **** out of me! Does anyone know what is causing this?
Welcome to the Hyundai forums extremeactive! :00000732:

Is the noise with the hood up, or hood down, sitting in the cabin?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts