Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My I10 (2008, 1.1 petrol) never gets warm enough. It only reaches about 60-70 degrees celcius after a good drive. Also the temperature in the cabin is not really warm.

I have tried to take out the Thermostate and tested it, and it opens and closes just fine in warm water.

Also the engine cooling fan starts running when I start the car - even an icecold start! I tried disconnecting the fan to see if the car would heat up, but still only reaches 60-70 degrees.

Anyone have an idea what could be the issue?

·
Registered
655 Posts
I never bother testing a suspect thermostat if I am going to the trouble of taking it out then I always fit a new one, test the new one just to be sure its not faulty, it had been known.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,298 Posts
Does the car have air con? Could that be the reason for the fan running.

How are you measuring the temperature?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No AC, and I check the temperature on the dashboard display.

However, if the thermostat is lazy, should the engine not overheat instead?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not if it opens too early and starts circulating coolant. I'd try to get a readout from a scantool to see what the sensor is reporting vs what the temp gauge is showing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The topmost pipe is warm to the touch, but the lowest black pipe going to the t-stat is icecold, like there is no heat transfer going on, when the engine is running.

Could it perhaps be a faulty water pump?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,298 Posts
If you don't have AC, you have to wonder why the fan is running when the engine isn't even reaching normal operating temperature.

As kpanasew suggested, it would be a good idea to check the coolant temp with a scan tool to see what temperature the engine PCM is seeing. There are usually two temperature sensors on a Hyundai engine. One for the gauge/warning light and another for the engine management system. The fans running as soon as the ignition is switched on is often a symptom of the engine management part of the coolant temp sensor failing. When the PCM is getting an implausible signal from the sensor it will switch the fan on as a fail safe measure to protect the engine.

RedRacerDK said:
Could it perhaps be a faulty water pump?
The engine would over heat if the pump was faulty, since the coolant wouldn't be circulating.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts

However, if the thermostat is lazy, should the engine not overheat instead?
I changed out both Hyundai OEs on my cars last summer. They will open at the correct temp but are slow to respond. Mine would loose quite a bit of temperature, around 10F, when cold out and coasting in gear.

They will tend to run cold when lazy. but show the lower temp rating of the t-stat most of the time.

And I agree about he fan being on all the time. Can you scan the ODBII port and read the engine coolant temp?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The scantool found a fault p0116, erased it and now the fan at least stopped running when the engine is cold.

Other readings I got on a cold start (not sure what they are):
ETC - 48 degrees celcius
IAT - 3 degrees celcius
catempll - 534
AAt - minus 5 degrees celcius

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
P0116 Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor – range/performance problem

What is the ambient temp?

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
There are several temperature sensors on the engine. I monitor Coolant temp, Intake Air temp, Ambient air temp and the O2 temp.

A good way to check the accuracy is before you start the engine and as long as it is not sitting in the sun, turn the key to on and see if the temp sensors all read the same as compared to the ambient temp, they should.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Look at this video... this is what I would test.

more on the coolant system. I had a faulty rad cap which I replaced before it became a problem. always consider all the parts of the coolant system.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
One more thing to add. There is a DOT on most thermostats make sure the dot was installed in the same position as the old thermostat. Ive got a new thermostat in the garage and a new gasket but to lazy to go check it. Most cars thermostats have a DOT marking for the install position so its installed in the CORRECT position. This may effect its ability to open and close even though its new. Night all......

quote:

Fitting a thermostat
Many thermostats are fitted a certain way, with one side marked 'front', 'rad' or with an arrow pointing towards the radiator. The opening temperature is usually marked on the thermostat rim.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts