Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my gf's 2014 Elantra only has 81,000 on it and a knocking sound is heard when idling or accelerating. This started to happen in December. From what I hear, the company is well aware of this issue and hasn't done anything about it until a customer brings it in. From what the mechanic said to me and my gf today was we'll have a new engine with the old headers put on it.

For the warranty to be in effect... we need to provide oil change records of the vehicle. They want records dated all the way back when my gf bought the car, which was 2014. Most of the records she can get, but 1 record is pretty much long gone because she went to a small shop to do the oil change 2 summers ago. I questioned the mechanic and service desk if it mattered what oil type has been in the engine. Like if we had synthetic oil and switched to regular oil, then back to synthetic. They responded with it doesn't matter, we just need to see the vehicle hasn't been neglected and maintenance has been performed. Now.. When they mentioned neglected... do they mean the vehicle hasn't gotten an oil change within a years time? Or longer?

I just feel they're trying to find a way to blame us when in fact they know very well the engine was a lemon from the factory. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I don't know lol. What do you all think?

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I don't think you will have a problem. They are well aware what's causing their engine problems. Anyway if you can go back where it got the missing service entry and just get them to fill out your log book all should be fine. If not possible surely you have enough records that show it's been regularly serviced. I took my Hyundai back for a stop light warranty claim and they didn't even want to look at the service history because it was a common fault.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's what I figured... My gf is really strict with oil change. She's pretty good at doing oil changes at the km's listed on the sticker after an oil change. If anything... she might be 300 km's over what is listed as the next oil changed needed. It's not like she's driving the vehicle with 7,000-8,000 km's on the car without an oil change performed. Problem is... she did the oil change at Mr. Lube for 2 years... now she has to go tomorrow and print out the records. Big pain in the butt lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's what I figured... My gf is really strict with oil change. She's pretty good at doing oil changes at the km's listed on the sticker after an oil change. If anything... she might be 300 km's over what is listed as the next oil changed needed. It's not like she's driving the vehicle with 7,000-8,000 km's on the car without an oil change performed. Problem is... she did the oil change at Mr. Lube for 2 years... now she has to go tomorrow and print out the records. Big pain in the butt lol.
I had to provide all records too, since 2011 when I bought my 2012 Elantra... luckily I always keep all records in a file for all years I own my cars and give them to tile next owner when I sell them.

They know there is a problem with their engine, and very well, actually there is a recall number for the short block but they keep all quite and replace them only when people complain!! As we talk of thousands of cars in Canada only, and as a company they want to reduce the most the cost of all this and of course avoid a bad reputation, they will try everything to reduce the number of replacements...

If you are in Canada, the recall number is 40CA18. I asked my dealer when I picked up my car after replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts