Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took my car to an oil change and had engine lockup the next day (within ~0.3 miles). After parking the car on side of the road I noticed oil all over the ground. I had the car towed to dealership and they told me I need a new engine. My car is fairly new (2017). The oil change shop is a national chain shop.

Anyone can share their experience on getting shops to pay for this kind of damage?

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
You will probably need pictures of their negligence for proof. Was this on the drain plug or the oil filter? And this isn't the 2004 you have listed?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Did you look to see where the oil was coming from?No drain plug? Loose oil filter? Hole in the side of the block? Where was the oil coming from?

·
Registered
38 Posts
You're talking about a double gasket oil filter mistake, right? Have the dealer write up the estimate with the cause and present it to the oil change shop. See what happens but you may need to sue or at least threaten. Sounds open and shut, especially if the dealer confirms the double gasket.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Larger chain's have insurance for just this reason. I wouldn't sweat it. Contact the location that did the service. Ask them how to proceed. Generally, places like an NTB or firestone won't so engine replacements on newer vehicles, if at all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is why I do my own oil changes. True, it's my own dime, but I guarantee you that you'll never see a double gasket on my watch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This possible situation has never happen to me in 32 years of changing oil/filters. But when removing the oil filter, it's possible that the old gasket could stick to the housing and be unnoticed. So when the new filter goes on, the seal is compromised with 2 gaskets against the housing and will most likely be ineffective in sealing in the oil. You can't have rubber on rubber. Listen, I've made many mistakes over the years but this one is inexcusable. The oil filter housing needs to be clean and dry before a new re-lubed oil filter goes on.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
This possible situation has never happen to me in 32 years of changing oil/filters. But when removing the oil filter, it's possible that the old gasket could stick to the housing and be unnoticed. So when the new filter goes on, the seal is compromised with 2 gaskets against the housing and will most likely be ineffective in sealing in the oil. You can't have rubber on rubber. Listen, I've made many mistakes over the years but this one is inexcusable. The oil filter housing needs to be clean and dry before a new re-lubed oil filter goes on.
Some young folk here (unless they had an old hot rod) don't know that cars used to have a filter element that went into a heavy filter casing with a bolt through it. You needed to remove the old seal with an awl...1st time I did it on my 283ci I doubled-up and the oil pored out in a large pool. Never did that again! :blush:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ah, thanks very much for the explanation, rw. I've only ever replaced Toyota/Lexus oil filters which are, of course, of the canister/element variety and have a captured O-ring in a groove rather than a donut-shaped, pressure-fit rubber gasket. Thus my inexperience and ignorance. You've taken care of the latter. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I have done many, many Hyundai oil changes using the OEM filter and have never seen one leave the gasket behind. Not saying it couldn't ever happen, but I have never seen it.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Happened to my youngest son, quick change join wouldn't do any about it, took them to small claims court, was a Ford, judge ordered a Ford dealer to replace his engine and bill the quick change join directly. Also got a loaner to drive.

If you have problems, small claims court may work for you.

Ha, take it to your dealers, one around here was sued for not installing a filter properly, started an engine fire, had to replace the entire vehicle.

If I did this, would have to sue myself, same for you if you change your oil yourself. Stuff happens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good luck

Had my car oil change by Big O, next day I found that oil all over my drive way, I asked the mechanic to look at it and confirmed that was due to double gasket.Luckily, the engine did not blow out, I talked to Big O , they refunded my oil change and paid for whatever the mechanic charged. My friend's Mercedes had oil change at an national fanchise shop, after 2 hours drive home, the engine blew out due to drain plug came off. After long talk with the shop, they finally agreed to pay for the new engine. I wish you good luck.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Ha, with an old oil pan, tried to cross thread the drain plug, only way I good do it was with an impact wrench driving it in at an angle.

So far, never had to sue myself, double check everything, any oil spilled is cleaned up. Always oil on that engine under cover, that gets cleaned up and inspected for any leaks.

Just pour in four quarts, get it on level ground, then top it off to the dipstick full mark, another problem, 3 quarts low or 3 quarts too much.

Oh, and quit smoking crack at least three days before I do this task, just kidding, but do have suspicions about the kid doing this job.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The double gasket happened to me once while changing my oil when I was in my teens. Started the car and looked underneath for leaks and it was pouring out right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
It is common for the old oil filter seal to stick to the oil filter housing, however most qualified mechanics are well aware of this issue and therefore insure the oil filter housing is cleaned and inspected and the new oil filter seal is lubricated and where possible oil placed in the oil filter before fitment.

The owner should carefully inspect vehicle after any fluid changes as no one is perfect and accidents can happen.

Perhaps it would be best to use an independent or dealership that you can trust rather than continuing to change repair shops, then if something goes wrong one may then get a more sympathetic hearing.

When the vehicle is out of warranty I would perform all maintenance myself where possible.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I have no direct experience. A niece and a friend both lost engine due to Jiffy Lube error. Do not have legal details. Never been to one of those places as a result. Was somewhat paranoid having the dealer change my oil. Checked it in the parking lot just to make sure.

I have had drain plugs leaks a little or filter leak needing to be snugged. An oil change is something you do not want to rush, which seems to be part of the problem with chain shops. Inexperience of the technician is the other. I wish you well, but have a feeling you are going to need to fight to get the proper result.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My sister had a Subaru engine destroyed by an oil change place. I don't remember which chain it was now, and I never knew what exactly they did wrong to cause all her oil to drain out. She filed a claim with her insurance company to replace the engine, and probably the insurance co. sued the oil change place to recover. I would not take my car to one ever again.

Besides that second hand experience, my first hand experience with the one I used to frequent years ago (their location was too convenient) is that they are dishonest. They tried to sell me things I knew I didn't need, because I had replaced them very recently. So I change my own oil. Establishments that will try to cheat you will also hire incompetent careless workers and let them do shoddy work.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.