Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok this problem has happened many times to me and I have lots of information to enter in this thread including links to the several repair documents from the dealer. Please understand that I might not get all the information in tonight. Since I am a new user, I have to wait 7-days before being allowed to post any links.

The short story before the details is that this problem has continued on and off for over a year now. Most recently the dealer told me that the problem was my spark plugs (46K) and of course charged me almost $200 to replace them. Since I have had the same problem many different times and it was previously all covered under warranty, I didn't care... but now it is more than just my time I am out, it's my money!

I will try to type in the repair order details below and later scan in the sheets and post the links to them

The first visit was on 9/17/2012

LINE A
Complaint: Customer states engine sputters while accelerating from a stop. Runs fine once up to speed. no warning lights. Please check.

Cause: Test drove vehicle. Engine misfires under load. Scanned for DTC's, none stored. misfires identified to be coming from CYL 3. Inspected plug and coil. ignition coil has a track burn thru insulator and causing misfire.

Correction: Replaced #3 ignition coil

More information to follow...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Invoice date: 09/27/2012

LINE A
Complaint: Customer states engine sputters when accelerating, same concern as before. Please check.

Cause: Test drove many times and finally able to duplicate concern. Check engine light came on. Scanned for codes, P0300 random multiple cylinder misfires and P0302 cylinder two misfires. Cylinder 2 coil has intermittent open.

Correction: Replaced #2 ignition coil and cleared codes. test drove and ok.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Invoice date: 02/04/2013

LINE A
Complaint: Customer states check engine light flashes and engine runs rough, please check.

Cause: Scanned for codes, P0300, P0301, P0302 and P0304 - all misfire codes. Checked for TSB 09EM002-CVVT oil control valve inspection. Removed valve and checked for debris, none found. Bench tested and ok. GDS accuation test passed. test drove with GDS and graphed misfire count. Test drove for 12 miles under all types of driving conditions and no misfires. let vehicle sit overnight and test drove for an additional 30 miles. Scanned for codes, none stored. Current data shows 0 misfires.

Correction: No problems found

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Invoice date: 03/25/2013

LINE A

Cause: Complaint: Customer states check engine light flashes and engine runs rough. SOPIS in. Please check

Correction: Scanned for codes, P0300, P0301, P0302 and P0304 all misfire codes. OCV valve has been sticking. Corrected by replacing OCV valve per Rod.

More information to follow but first....

:eek:_75: I talked to the service manager and he said Rod, mentioned above, is the regional manager. I talked to the tech that worked on my car and he said as a tech he had no proof that the OCV valve had any problem but Rod requested that it be replaced anyway.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Besides USA.... where you at ?

The only Rod I am aware of is a regional techinical director I think it is.. Central Region Facility /Chicago (Aurora). I have seen him when at training in his cubicle across from classroom.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Invoice date: 10/07/2013

LINE A
Complaint: Customer states started vehicle and smelled fuel. Check engine light started flashing, please check.

Cause: P0300, P0304, P0303 P0301.DTC caused by heavy fuel

Correction: Replaced spark plugs. Cleared codes. All ok at this time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There I have typed in all of the invoices. I want to point out that even after all the previous problems with misfires, they never replaced the spark plugs. I assume those previous misfires were not easy on the spark plugs and even if the plugs were bad this time, I believe they should not have charged me for it considering all the previous problems and wear on the plugs. I am not sold yet that the plugs were bad. I told them I wanted any parts they take off my car after finding out that this was going to cost me out of pocket. I will post a picture of the spark plugs they gave me so all of you can review them.

They said this time that the fuel in my tank tested heavy. What I find odd is that my wife owns a 2011 Accent too, the same as mine and with almost the same mileage on it. Yes we try to balance out the mileage. We both go to the same gas station and even the same pump, yet she has never had any of these issues with her car!

PLEASE HELP ME!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
right from the start. random misfire and cyl. 2 misfire are different problems completely. they diagnosed and fixed for the second problem - cyl 2 misfire and by the looks of it repaired successfully.

a bad coil on cyl. 2 does not cause random misfires.

saying the fuel is 'heavy' is a crock. i'd demand test results and what exactly they mean by 'heavy'. is there water in it? how was this determined?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I tried to look up plugs for 2011, come up with 2 choice depending on production, but the timing belt engine uses plain old spark plugs that due for replace at 30 interval, and the new engine (GDI) uses an Iridium plug, due typically 90-105,000 interval.

Odd you having coils so often, though coils in the earlier models were problems, the replacements were lasting longer.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
right from the start. random misfire and cyl. 2 misfire are different problems completely. they diagnosed and fixed for the second problem - cyl 2 misfire and by the looks of it repaired successfully.
Random is non-specific cylinder misfire detect, until event is ID'd to specific cylinder.. this being 0302 cylinder 2 misfire detect. All cyclinders can random, then PCM via logic willl be able to ID the misfiring cylinder and assign the correct DTC to ID which cylinder seen to be problem

a bad coil on cyl. 2 does not cause random misfires.
See above

saying the fuel is 'heavy' is a crock. i'd demand test results and what exactly they mean by 'heavy'. is there water in it? how was this determined?
Hyundai has sent all dealer a BG fuel test kit (TSB in regards to the kit I think).. the kit is used to evaluate fuel quality (alcohol content)/specific gravity based on ambient temp..

I dont bother with the specific gravity part, gas going to burn anyway.. Look at the race fuel sites for Turbo Blue, VP Race fuels, Cam 2 fuel, and look at all the various fuel data and note the specific gravity listed in all of them, value to the super tuner, but for the PCM controlled via air pressure / water temp / Ox values for fuel trim, I dont care about gravity..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hyundai has sent all dealer a BG fuel test kit (TSB in regards to the kit I think).. the kit is used to evaluate fuel quality (alcohol content)/specific gravity based on ambient temp..

I dont bother with the specific gravity part, gas going to burn anyway.. Look at the race fuel sites for Turbo Blue, VP Race fuels, Cam 2 fuel, and look at all the various fuel data and note the specific gravity listed in all of them, value to the super tuner, but for the PCM controlled via air pressure / water temp / Ox values for fuel trim, I dont care about gravity..
So are you saying that even looking at my previous problems/repairs you believe this "heavy fuel" is valid? It just seems so odd that it happens to the same Accent (we have two - same mileage, year and make) that has had previous problems and yet both cars have only used the same gas station & pump.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Dont be concerned with the fuel.. fuel dont give single cylinder misfire.. your 2nd car run fine, thus fuel is not a factor.

Only time I have issue with fuel is if it has over 10% alcohol content leading to starting/driveability concerns,, then at that,, just take a nice long run up/down interstate and run that load of fuel out, and re-fuel fresh and go from there..

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
good to know sbr, thanks! i like info like that....understanding the logic of the ECU is crucial to solving problems. good to know it sometimes reports silly things like every other car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Dont be concerned with the fuel.. fuel dont give single cylinder misfire.. your 2nd car run fine, thus fuel is not a factor.

Only time I have issue with fuel is if it has over 10% alcohol content leading to starting/driveability concerns,, then at that,, just take a nice long run up/down interstate and run that load of fuel out, and re-fuel fresh and go from there..
I thought the most recent invoice stated misfire codes for all the cylinders? My problem is that I paid out of pocket about $200 for new plugs because of this "heavy fuel" problem. After my new user 7-days are up on the forum, I can then post a picture of the plugs for everyone to review. These plugs they took out at 36K do not look bad to me.

If the fuel is/was not the problem, any ideas what it might be or do you think they fixed it and refuse to tell me that again the problem was something else under warranty. Worse, maybe they never found the cause and felt rather than tell me they couldn't find anything (like has happened in the past) and to come pick it up... they changed the plugs and charged me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2011 sedan and at about 45,000mi i had a coil pack go out Cyl 3. I change my oil every 3000 mi and fluch all fluids every winter and every summer. (mainl

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2011 sedan and at about 45,000mi i had a coil pack go out Cyl 3. I change my oil every 3000 mi and fluch all fluids every winter and every summer. (mainly because of the high performance I have put in the car.) I just did the timing belt at 58,000 and plugs. I just hit 65000 mi on monday and had another coil pack go out and leave me running on 3 cyl.

From what I understand each one will need to be replaced. I could not believe the change it made to just replace them all.

Start saving you will have the same problem

$112.58 ea x 4=

$$$$450.32

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a 2011 sedan and at about 45,000mi i had a coil pack go out Cyl 3. I change my oil every 3000 mi and fluch all fluids every winter and every summer. (mainly because of the high performance I have put in the car.) I just did the timing belt at 58,000 and plugs. I just hit 65000 mi on monday and had another coil pack go out and leave me running on 3 cyl.

From what I understand each one will need to be replaced. I could not believe the change it made to just replace them all.

Start saving you will have the same problem

$112.58 ea x 4=

$$$$450.32
Are you suggesting that I had a coil pack go bad and they told me it was "heavy" fuel which killed my plugs so they could charge me?

For your coil pack repair, how is that not covered under the warranty?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts