Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I recently got a Sonata from my parents when they moved to Pennsylvania. It's a 2007 with the 2.7 liter engine. It has had low oil for some time, so when I got it (last week) I put more in, up to but not above the full line.

It has had now for just a couple of days a very bad rattle, which is barely audible (but still IS audible) at idle and gets very severe during and after acceleration. It remains for some time even after the gas is no longer being pressed, then subsides a bit. I diagnosed it as knocking, but just today the check engine light came on and the rattle got louder.

1) I don't have another car to drive and I have class in five hours. Should I drive it or call a cab?
2) I definitely plan on taking it to a dealership or mechanic ASAP, but ASAP is up to two days from now due to my schedule. What if the poor thing can't take it till then?
3) Lastly, is there any idea what is wrong?

I did run the search function in the forums, but my google-fu is lacking and I didn't find anything. Apologies if this is a repeat from before.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Sep 20 2010, 09:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357406
That's the 5-cylinder gas saving option to the 3.3L 6-cylinder or what you have when one cylinder of the 6-cylinder is blown. :p
My guess is that he was using the number pad to type the 2.4 and hit 2.7 on accident maybe.

For the problem it sounds like one of the main bearings wasn't getting enough oil since it was low for a long time. If its knocking its probably from the 3rd or 4th cylinder. I've had that happen to my Infiniti G20 when the oil pan got knocked up into the oil filter inside the pan. The car drove for about 10k after the pan corrected and the metal shavings from the bearing was removed from the filter. I did this after hearing the same noise that you heard. After about 10k of driving the 3rd main bearing seized while I was driving on the highway. Made a lot of noise but the car still had power and could accelerate. When we (girlfriend (wife now) and I) took it off the highway to see check it the bearing finally seized up and killed the car.

Would it get you to class right now, yes probably but you're going to have some serious problems later on. Its either a complete engine rebuild or a swap.

Hopefully this is not the problem with the car and is something else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts