Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2014 Santa Fe (3rd row seating with V6) starting having a problem on the last 4 or 5 fuel fill ups. When the fuel level gets to about a 1/4 tank, the engine rpm will drop some and act like it's going to die when coming to a stop at a red light or stop sign. Doesn't do it often, but that's when she notices it doing it. I was actually in the car when it did it once. No check engine light will come on when this happens, so the dealership said it will be hard to diagnose unless it does it when they test drive it. It happened again today, but the tank is at 3/4. She has an appointment for this Friday. We're hoping they find the problem. We tried switching brands of gas and it went through an entire tank without doing it, so she went back the normal gas station and it went through that tank ok too. She filled up again at a different gas station that doesn't have ethanol and that's when it did it today at 3/4 tank. Anyone else experienced this problem or know what it might be? Starting to think it's maybe not the gas and maybe the fuel pump? Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like the fuel pump is on the way out...........

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I was going to suggest checking the gallons added at the next fill to make sure that the gauge was accurate and that the fuel pump wasn't sucking air due to the fuel level being lower than you think and fuel slosh, but you said it happened at 3/4 of a tank. That would rule out a fuel gauge accuracy issue....

·
Registered
250 Posts
A no code stall is why I got rid of my 2011 3.5 liter Santa Fe, and bought a 2016 3.3 liter Santa Fe. So your post scares me. See:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/cm-2007-2012-santa-fe/563970-3-5l-stalling.html
I had the car 3 months with a private mechanic, and 3 weeks with a Hyundai mechanic, no solution.

Anyhow, enough moaning and back to your problem, if you suspect the fuel pump, my mechanic bought a T fitting to access the fuel rail pressure right at the motor, ran the hose out from under the hood, and had the pressure gauge held in place under the windshield wiper. Then drove around until it stalled. My pressure was fine, 50 psi.

Other things are crankshaft position sensor and throttle body assembly. Apparently these can go faulty enough to stall, but not necessarily throw a code. Mine were both replaced, no joy.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
-Chris

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We ended up dropping it off with the dealership the evening before the appointment. They let a tech guy drive it home and back to work the next day, but it never messed up with them. They recommended doing a fuel system cleaning and go from there. So far it hasn't messed up since they did that and its been over a week. No clue if that fixed the problem, but we will see. It only has 57,000 miles so I doubt that could have been the problem, but with today's fuel you never know.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update...still no problems with the stalling, but on new years day we were fixing to head to the in-laws. Letting the car warm up in the driveway, we noticed the check engine light came on. I have a code reader, so I checked it and it said it was the O2 sensor (P0137). I cleared the code because I wanted to see if it would come back and it never did. Wife called the dealership and they said where I cleared it, there was nothing they could do until it popped up again. A week later and still no check engine light. Still waiting for it to come back on.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
P0137 Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 2, bank 1 – low voltage Exhaust leak, wiring short to ground, HO2S, ECM
Oxygen sensor (O2S) 2, bank 1 – low voltage Exhaust leak,wiring short to ground, O2S, ECM

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Had a similar problem once
The engine would randomly stall
And would restart no problem
Then it just got worse
Until it would not start again

Trying to figure it out, I could get it going with starter fluid
And so thought it was the fuel pump
Got it to the mechanic
They checked out the fuel pump
No problem

Turns out that there was a small crack on the fuel hose
The harder the engine runs then the more air was sucked in and it would stall
(This was back in the days of carburetors .. only 4 psi of fuel needed to run engine)
When engine wasn't running, the crack would seal itself and not leak gas out
The mechanic found it by yanking on the fuel lines

I was going to suggest checking the gallons added at the next fill to make sure that the gauge was accurate and that the fuel pump wasn't sucking air due to the fuel level being lower than you think and fuel slosh, but you said it happened at 3/4 of a tank. That would rule out a fuel gauge accuracy issue....
It could also be a break it the hose (while still in the fuel tank)
and the fuel is just being dumped back into the tank??

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
More likely to be an issue with the sensor. An exhaust leak "could" cause the oxygen sensor readings to vary and set that code, but the most likely scenario is with the sensor itself or perhaps the wiring to it.

Reactions: familyride2014

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The check engine light came on again the other day when she was going to work. I never got a chance to read it because it went back off before she got home. The dealership said there's a chance it stored the code, but they're not sure. Anyone know if the code would be stored since it wasn't manually erased?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts