Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 hyundai tucson limited. I am have trouble getting it started. Sometimes it turns over but will not start, sometimes it starts very quickly. Sometimes it starts and immediately stops. When it does start it runs very well and i have no problems. There is no check engine light on so i am wondering what the problem could be. Is it a fuel pump issue or fuel injector issue or something else all together? Please help.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
I have a 2011 hyundai tucson limited. I am have trouble getting it started. Sometimes it turns over but will not start, sometimes it starts very quickly. Sometimes it starts and immediately stops. When it does start it runs very well and i have no problems.
Is this a no crank, no start?
Is this a crank, no start?
Each deals with a different set of circuits and systems

There is no check engine light on so i am wondering what the problem could be. Is it a fuel pump issue or fuel injector issue or something else all together? Please help.
Those are good questions.
So what have you done to check it out?
Did you do a spark test?
Did you do an injector pulse check?
When you first turned the key to the "ON" position, did you hear the fuel pump prime the fuel rail?
Did you take the upstream O2 sensor off and try to start the engine?

Need more information to help diagnose issue

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, thanks for the response. it cranks over but does not start. the problem is very intermittent, for the past 2 days it started fine but this morning it did not want to start again. when i first put the key in and turned it, it just just cranked over and would not start. i took the key out, then put it back in, turned it and it started fine. there seems to be no common thread as to why this is happening. so far the only thing i have done is to run a bottle of a fuel system cleaner through it, but it did not seem to help.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,973 Posts
Immobilizer issue perhaps? Probably not if your in the USA, but it's a possibility just about everywhere else.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
If it is too intermittent to troubleshoot then may have to wait until it becomes a hard failure
Although there are ways to try to get around this
Every time you got to start your car, turn the key to the "ON" position and listen for the fuel pump
It should run for a couple of seconds before shutting off
This is the fuel pump priming the fuel rail for starting
If you don't hear this then it could be a fuel system issue

Also, have heard some say that when they changed their battery, the issue went away
I have no clue why that would happen but that is what I have read on this forum

Well, good luck and keep us informed if anything changes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update!!!! i can hear the fuel pump priming the rail. i have just installed a new battery, it started really good with the new battery , so lets hope that fixes the problem. i checked the date on the old battery and it looks like it was from the factory when the car was new 7 years ago!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update! not good news, the car did not want to start again this morning. not sure what to do. when it is running it is perfectly fine, just does not want to start

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
update! not good news, the car did not want to start again this morning. not sure what to do. when it is running it is perfectly fine, just does not want to start
Did you try cleaning up the battery terminals with a wire brush??
Did you also clean the battery grounding point at the chassis??

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,973 Posts
not sure what to do.
Fill in your forum profile so we know what engine we're dealing with and where in the world you live.

Is the engine petrol or diesel? Do you live in a market area that has an immobilizer or not? These are things we need to know in order to offer you meaningful advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update!!!! i have put in a bottle of highly concentrated fuel system cleaner when the tank was almost empty. i ran the car till it needed to be filled up again. it has started fine every time since i have done this .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update! i used a bottle of fuel injector cleaner with only a 1/4 tank of gas left to really flush the system and it work very well for about a month. now the problem has since returned.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The no starts should be generating some codes. Might be worth having them checked with a scanner to see if there is some kind of pattern.

How many kilometres on the car? Has it had any major repair work done on it recently.

Is the small yellow security light flashing during the no start?

Try using your other set of keys, in case it is immobilized like OP suggested.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
update! i used a bottle of fuel injector cleaner with only a 1/4 tank of gas left to really flush the system and it work very well for about a month. now the problem has since returned.
Codes? Engine turns over?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.