Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend owns a 2012 Elantra limited with approximately 20k miles on it.
Two weeks ago she asked me to listen to it, because it was making a clicking noise. We've had sub zero temps here in Wisconsin, so I assumed it was the normal cold start up noise.
I quickly realized it was something much worse. It sounded like the timing chain was making noise.
We took it to the dealer ASAP. They tore into it and said that the timing chain tensioner had failed. Now ten days later they called and notified us that the engine was still making noise after the tensioner had been replaced and the oil pan is full of metal shavings. It sounds like they will be replacing the engine.
My girlfriend has been religious about oil changes. She was plannning on buying out this car at the end of her lease. This has me concerned about the quality of the car. I don't want her to have problems down the road. Has anyone else had similar issues?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
this is VERY unusual for hyundai. the elantras are well known for their high level of reliability. but, it happens to the best of them. you just got unlucky and got the dud engine. it's all about statistics. a small percentage of all the cars they manufacturer will have this failure. a well designed and built car brings that number down to nearly nothing - but even if its less than 0.1% someone has to be in that unlucky percentage.

sorry to hear about it, but hey its under warranty. i wouldn't hesitate on buying out that car at the end of the lease for a minute if the price is right.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
this is VERY unusual for hyundai. the elantras are well known for their high level of reliability. but, it happens to the best of them. you just got unlucky and got the dud engine. it's all about statistics. a small percentage of all the cars they manufacturer will have this failure. a well designed and built car brings that number down to nearly nothing - but even if its less than 0.1% someone has to be in that unlucky percentage.

sorry to hear about it, but hey its under warranty. i wouldn't hesitate on buying out that car at the end of the lease for a minute if the price is right.
Would hope the figure would be closer to 0.01% or less - at almost 51K Elantras sold in 2012, 0.1% would work out to 5100 Elantras with engines replaced under warranty. At 0.01% that at least gets it down to 510 which I would think would be more reasonable for a company that prides itself on durability and reliability. But as Zero pointed out, someone had got to bite the bullet statistically speaking.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Would hope the figure would be closer to 0.01% or less - at almost 51K Elantras sold in 2012, 0.1% would work out to 5100 Elantras with engines replaced under warranty. At 0.01% that at least gets it down to 510 which I would think would be more reasonable for a company that prides itself on durability and reliability. But as Zero pointed out, someone had got to bite the bullet statistically speaking.
Check your math - you're way off.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Math is way off - 1% of 51,000 is 510.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/227833-2011-elantra-engine-ticking-full-engine-replacement.html

There have been at least 3 other forum members getting engines replaced at 30K miles or less. There have also been several members with zero problems in over 100K miles.

Not sure what to make of that, but since Hyundai seems to be replacing the engines under warranty and the engine is DEFINITELY part of the 10-year/100K warranty, I probably wouldn't shy away from buying the car.

(You also have to factor in that when a relatively new car has complete engine failure, the owner is likely to post on the owner forums about it. My 2002 Ford has only needed routine maintenance in 137K miles, but I'm not posting on FocusFanatics "My car is still running fine!!!" - so the forum posts skew the data somewhat.)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/227833-2011-elantra-engine-ticking-full-engine-replacement.html

There have been at least 3 other forum members getting engines replaced at 30K miles or less. There have also been several members with zero problems in over 100K miles.

Not sure what to make of that, but since Hyundai seems to be replacing the engines under warranty and the engine is DEFINITELY part of the 10-year/100K warranty, I probably wouldn't shy away from buying the car.

(You also have to factor in that when a relatively new car has complete engine failure, the owner is likely to post on the owner forums about it. My 2002 Ford has only needed routine maintenance in 137K miles, but I'm not posting on FocusFanatics "My car is still running fine!!!" - so the forum posts skew the data somewhat.)
Stand corrected, thanks, forgot the **** % in calcs! Actually 0.01% would be really admirable, only 5 engine failures!

·
Registered
89 Posts

Who has 2011 or newer with 100,000 miles?

Seems to be a few engine failures lately. I will say this, my engine makes noises no car I have ever owned makes and I'm a car guy.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Who has 2011 or newer with 100,000 miles?
Me. 101K and counting. No major problems. 0w-20 TGMO and OEM filters. Slight occasional chatter on cold start up for a second or two and occasional sputtering start, though that hasn't happened since I changed the plugs so I'm thinking it is an electrical issue, I need to clean the paint off at the grounding locations but this winter is killing me, no garage.

I like the car and like the Nissan Quest I had (I bought it when the lease was up) I would do the same with this model car if you feel right about it. See how it goes once the work is completed.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi everyone,

...We took it to the dealer ASAP. They tore into it and said that the timing chain tensioner had failed. Now ten days later they called and notified us that the engine was still making noise after the tensioner had been replaced and the oil pan is full of metal shavings. It sounds like they will be replacing the engine.
My Mazda had basically the same issue ( minus the metal shavings ) when the variable valve timing actuator ( cogwheel ) failed and it developed a sound almost like rod knock. Went away ~ 5 min later when engine was warmed up and never was an issue in driving the car either before or after replacement of the VVT actuator. Like yours, the sound remained after repair and I was eventually advised that it's a situation where the engine could last 40K miles ( engine had 78K ) or fail in 2-3K miles...they couldn't predict it...hopefully, they'll replace the engine under warranty.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Me. 101K and counting. No major problems. 0w-20 TGMO and OEM filters. Slight occasional chatter on cold start up for a second or two and occasional sputtering start, though that hasn't happened since I changed the plugs so I'm thinking it is an electrical issue, I need to clean the paint off at the grounding locations but this winter is killing me, no garage.

I like the car and like the Nissan Quest I had (I bought it when the lease was up) I would do the same with this model car if you feel right about it. See how it goes once the work is completed.
Nice, I have 52,000 on 2011. Only real problem has been steering wheel peeling and annoying rattle that has went away on its own. I have had issues with it not starting several times in the first year never figured out what was wrong.

I blame the weird noises on the GDI.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I just read the ''How Much Mileage Does Your Elantra Have?'' thread in the XD forum and I'm impressed to see how many miles many owners have put on their 10 year old Elantra, 200K and 300K are not rare!!! go read for yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts