Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original owner and only driver of 2011 Sonata GLS 6 speed manual transmission. Good car, only major maintenance expense was clutch and slave cylinder on 1/24/19 at 66,450 miles which seemed very early for failed clutch, $2,100. On July 19, 2022, when all systems were go on my car, car stalled out on way home from restaurant and was making a lot of noise. Had it towed to home 1 mile away and towed to dealer on 7/21/22. Dealer says we can look to see if it's covered engine failure but it may take 2 or 3 weeks to look at it. If approved for replacement they'll pay for rental car, if not I do. Process goes on (lots of BS) and ultimately approved for new engine. Service rep tells me that after the work they've done they found 2 codes indicating that I need to replace front right wheel speed sensor for $850, and batteries are low on my TPMS sensors which they can repair for $1495. I said no thanks to both. I pick up car at 1:30 on 8/30/22, after service rep had told me he had driven the car and it was running great. Drive car home, 10 miles, and a/c is not working and power steering was shaky. I called service rep at 5 pm and said car is undrivable and I need a car that dealer pays for until I have a car that works. He calls back next day to say they're very busy and I can come in and wait but he's not sure they'll get to me that day and won't pay for rental. I decide to drive car for a few days to see how it's running and call dealer on 9/7/22 to ask for names of service mgr. and general mgr. I was connected to customer service mgr. who immediately approved payment for rental. I bring car in and get rental. They call me and say I need new compressor for a/c and a new a/c line which is leaking, cost about $1,800. A week later they call and say car now needs new a/c controller $541 because a/c is still not blowing cold air. They put that in and I pick car up on 9/14/22 and a/c is blowing cold when rep drives car to me. Within 5 miles of leaving dealer a/c fails. later that day clutch pedal sticks to the floor while I'm shifting gears. I pull pedal up and go on. Back to dealer on 9/16/22 for a/c and ask them to check clutch. 5 hours at dealer, they replaced a/c controller AGAIN and out. Later that night clutch again stuck to floor while driving and car has no power since I'm not in gear. Took car back to dealer on Saturday, 9/17/22, to check clutch and to check why new engine was running rough at 10:30 am. They wouldn't provide a rental car, so I'm paying. I didn't hear from them until Wednesday 9/21/22, at 3:30 pm after numerous calls to them at which time I was told car needs a new master cylinder for $1,100+. Car worked perfectly before the engine failure. Many coincidences or outright fraud. All suggestions appreciated. Free engine replacement now approaching $3,500. Lawyers welcome.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Just another nightmare/ripoff, which, sorry to say, seems to be the norm, but what can one do, to fight the stealership you'll need to prove they were the reason the parts failed, difficult to do, especially after the the parts were replaced.
Your better off finding an independent shop that can do the work, but even that isn't an easy task. Just an example, the OEM clutch master cylinder lists for $276, so $800 to install, ridiculous, an aftermarket unit could be had for $50.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the engine issue I had no option other than a dealership and like you say, you're at their mercy. It's just very hard to believe that they didn't create most of these issues. Making up for lost revenue during Covid perhaps.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
With the engine issue I had no option other than a dealership and like you say, you're at their mercy. It's just very hard to believe that they didn't create most of these issues. Making up for lost revenue during Covid perhaps.
I don't disagree with your assessment, either done deliberately or through poor wormanship, but it's now water over the dam, so swallow hard and move forward.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
After a decade, parts wear out and fail.

You either fix it yourself, find a good independent shop, or pay the dealer to continue throwing parts at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts