Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 2012 Elantra 1.6. Over the last few weeks I am facing a weird issue with the car. If I take the car to a short trip for like 10-15 minutes and then shut off the engine, the engine refuses t crank again on the first try but cranks on the second try. This happens every single time I go out on a short trip for less than 30 minutes.

If I let the rest for the whole night in the garage, it will immediately crank on the first try the next day. I got it checked in an independent garage and they pointed out the reason being weak ignition coils. If that is the reason I fail to understand how the engine cranks on the first try if left overnight. I have recently changed spark plugs an cleaned the injectors as well and the car is serviced on time.

I tried searching this forum but so far have not been able to find a similar issue.

Somone please help me.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,581 Posts
Ignition coils have almost nothing to do with cranking the engine.
The starter system has the battery, ignition switch, park/neutral safety switch, starter and various wiring.

I would first begin by cleaning all terminals and grounding points
Terminals .. meaning the battery, starter and, alternator terminals
Clean up grounds on chassis and inspect ground straps

Cleaning up any corrosion will help to get rid of other possible problems
And may help in finding the real issue

Good luck

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,298 Posts
Hello & welcome to the forum, sushantv 00000732

I'm almost afraid to ask because asking for clarification can sometimes upset certain folk on this forum, but when you say the engine wont crank what exactly do you mean?

Is the starter motor not turning the engine over, or is the starter turning it over but it just wont fire up and run?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
We seeing some silly crap with this car (UD/MD) chassis.. I replaced engine in 1 recently, cranked and fire right off the bat..got all my business done, aisle fella wash and park..

Customer come to get car, no crank.. I look at him funny,, shouldnt be any concern with car..

Go out,, Jr tech out there twisting key to no end,, no crank... took key from him, got in car, closed door, hit unlock on RKE 2x,, put key in cylinder, rotate cylinder and it crank and fire.. told Jr to drive it around and pull in service aisle

Try that and see what happen

Reactions: sushantv

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
sbr711,

RKE 2x -- translate please, i understand the 2x (2 times) but do not understand "RKE"
Google told me "Remote Key Entry"!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello & welcome to the forum, sushantv 00000732

I'm almost afraid to ask because asking for clarification can sometimes upset certain folk on this forum, but when you say the engine wont crank what exactly do you mean?

Is the starter motor not turning the engine over, or is the starter turning it over but it just wont fire up and run?

Thank you for the welcome! Yes, it just doesn't fire up on the first try but fires up on the second try. The starter motor runs fine.

Ignition coils have almost nothing to do with cranking the engine.
The starter system has the battery, ignition switch, park/neutral safety switch, starter and various wiring.

I would first begin by cleaning all terminals and grounding points
Terminals .. meaning the battery, starter and, alternator terminals
Clean up grounds on chassis and inspect ground straps

Cleaning up any corrosion will help to get rid of other possible problems
And may help in finding the real issue

Good luck
Thank you! I will try doing that :)

We seeing some silly crap with this car (UD/MD) chassis.. I replaced engine in 1 recently, cranked and fire right off the bat..got all my business done, aisle fella wash and park..

Customer come to get car, no crank.. I look at him funny,, shouldnt be any concern with car..

Go out,, Jr tech out there twisting key to no end,, no crank... took key from him, got in car, closed door, hit unlock on RKE 2x,, put key in cylinder, rotate cylinder and it crank and fire.. told Jr to drive it around and pull in service aisle

Try that and see what happen
The problem is that it always starts o the second try. Just not on the first. If left overnight, the car starts on the first try.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,298 Posts
Thank you for the welcome! Yes, it just doesn't fire up on the first try but fires up on the second try. The starter motor runs fine.
OK, you've got the other guys that replied a bit confused with your terminology. You've described the problem as a no crank fault when the engine is actually cranking over OK. Now that we have a clearer understanding of the fault you might get replies that are more relevant to the problem your dealing with.

It sounds like you might have a problem with the fuel pump. There's a check valve inside the pump that prevents the fuel up at the engine from draining back to the tank. When the valve fails it causes long crank before start because the fuel pump has to push fuel all the way from the tank to the fuel rail on the engine before the engine is able to fire. What you could try to confirm that this is the problem is cycle the ignition key on & off several times before you crank the engine over for the first start of the day. Everytime you turn the ignition on the pump will run for a couple of seconds to prime the fuel rail. Cycling the key several times should push enough fuel into the rail on the engine to allow the engine to fire the first time you crank it over. See if that helps.

The correct way to test the check valve is you fit a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and measure how quickly the pressure drops after the engine has been switched off. But that requires some special tools, so see how you get on with the key cycle test first.

If left overnight, the car starts on the first try.
Not sure this part fits with my theory though, so maybe I'm talking nonsense. Cycling the key is cheap and easy so worth a try me thinks.

Regards.
Scott.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts