1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Check out this dangerous problem on my friends 2006 terracan 2,9 diesel

Starts and runs perfect,
Drives normal in 1st 2nd 3rd gear, always.

If driving in 4th gear ( D for Drive ) the car will all of a sudden shut down Entirely ! ALL dash board lights come on. The engine is dead ( while the car is still cruising down the highway )

To restart the engine, while cruising or stoped, we need to put in N (neutral), Start the car, and re-enter D (Drive)
The car now functions. For a while! Then the same scenario happens if you continue in (D)drive

Could this be the Brake switch ??? Everyone else with the brake switch problem mentions the engine loosing power, not shutting down entirely?!

After diagnosing, The hyundai center said it will cost 4000 Euro's to completely replace the Diesel / fuel system. I think that is a bunch of BS... as the Car is Perfect in 3rd. gear. If it were the fuel system issue because of faulty tank/pump/injectors I would assume problems also in other gears in addition to loss of power, rough idle etc.

The alternative now is to either trash the car, or find a simple solution to the problem, as ithe car in working condition isn't worth more then 3000 euro's on a good day.

Thanks in advance for any and all help and tips!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think your Hyundai dealer might be right, I had a similar problem.
The guys at the workshop told me that the pipings in the fuel system are rubish on these specific cars (they was corroded and sucked air into the fuel lines)
I replaced the fuel lines from the diesel tank to the fuel filter in the engine room, and also replaced the pump unit inside the diesel tank.

Take a look at:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/155-terracan-forum/92736-sporadic-loss-power-hyundai-terracan-6.html

Vehicle- spare parts for HYUNDAI Terracan (2001-) Топливная система Бензобак - Catalog of vehicle spare parts and prices on-line

Good luck =)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts