Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine diagram (aka "What's that stuff leaking on that thing under the battery?")

Where can I find a general diagram of things under the hood? Like battery is here, alternator is there, power steering pump is under that, etc?

While we're at it, anyone have any thoughts on brown leaking fluid on the right side of the engine? The part under the battery is all wet. I think that might be an alternator? I don't think it's been leaking more than a couple days because the driveway isn't terribly covered.

Possibly related -- my power steering suddenly became super difficult Friday morning. It's been making this clicking noise during the summer when turning for a couple years. One guy thought the rack was going. Another guy thought something was dirty somewhere, but it wasn't anything he thought was too concerning. I know the steering has become somewhat tighter, but this was a huge difference. Parking lots are nearly impossible. Thoughts?

:(

·
Registered
114 Posts
Where can I find a general diagram of things under the hood? Like battery is here, alternator is there, power steering pump is under that, etc?

While we're at it, anyone have any thoughts on brown leaking fluid on the right side of the engine? The part under the battery is all wet. I think that might be an alternator?
So far as diagrams, you can download the Factory Service Manual for free:
https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/index.asp

Your best shot is to have a friend locally who knows cars look at the car.
Then so the info can help others, do a DETAILED follow up post on the problems found.
(Translation do a detailed follow up like YOU would like to run across)

PS: Please edit you opening post with the "history" of the car. A car with 20,000 miles on it will have a totally different set of problems (and fixes) than one with 200,000 miles.

When creating a thread put model, year, mileage, etc. in the BODY of the OPENING POST, even if this info is in your "sig".
(This is so the problem is tied to "fix", Additionally it's so SEARCH engines "SEE" that info. I don't know about you but I like it when I'm doing a search on a obscure piece of equipment, and the search takes me right to info related to that exact item...)

Note if bought new /used, where car has spent the bulk of it's life. (Up North they put SALT on the roads- that creates a different set of problems than a Salt-Free car. Also state if the car has been wrecked, it has a Salvage TITLE

Alternator,PS pump are driven off side of engine opposite of battery (Right hand side of car)

Alternator hangs off right front edge of head, right below valve cover.

The valve cover is notorious for developing a OIL leak in this region, when it does OIL goes right into the Alternator and kills it.

While we're at it, anyone have any thoughts on brown leaking fluid on the right side of the engine? The part under the battery is all wet.
I don't think it's been leaking more than a couple days because the driveway isn't terribly covered.
That sounds like the oil filter canister is leaking. I would have to pull some tickets to research but I believe the plastic top of the canister is known to crack. (This happened on both Enourages I'm tending after.)

Possibly related -- my power steering suddenly became super difficult Friday morning. It's been making this clicking noise during the summer when turning for a couple years.
Clicking noise while turning is C/V joints. PS when fluid level is low (not totally out) makes whining noise.

One guy thought the rack was going. Another guy thought something was dirty somewhere, but it wasn't anything he thought was too concerning. I know the steering has become somewhat tighter, but this was a huge difference. Parking lots are nearly impossible. Thoughts?
PS: Check the PS fluid level. If it's low pull back the PS boots and see if there is excessive fluid leakage (lots of fluid /PS rack boots "wet" looking, or PS dripping off boots. If the boots are full of oil the rack seals are gone. replace or rebuild the rack.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts