Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'm another victim to the dreaded engine failure at 116k km. Parents SUV, was driving on the highway and suddenly knock was heard. Check engine light came on and car went into Limp Mode. I wasn't in the car, but I did organize the tow and drove to pick up the passengers. I used my OBDII reader and got camshaft error code P0014. I knew immediately that this engine would be joining the list of engines that has died due to manufacturing defects. Towed it to the dealership and they confirmed that engine needed to be replaced.

I thought the process would be smooth as its quite a documented issue and on the 23 February, the Canadian Courts will finalize the class action suit. Not as smooth as I thought. I booked the appointment for 1 pm. I called at 2:30pm and the vehicle still hasn't been seen, at 4pm they just got the vehicle into the shop. I tell them at 2:30pm what the issue was already. At 4:50 pm they call me confirming what I already told them the issue was. I begin telling them the issue has a recall and I ask if I can get a loaner. No luck, until Hyundai Canada gets back to them I'm out a vehicle, I don't know if the engine will be replaced, and I will need to provide a full maintenance history as I did not do all maintenance at the same dealership.

It's frustrating as I know other Canadians have had their engines replaced no questions asked and were given loaners as soon as the issue was diagnosed. Meanwhile I have the mechanic threatening I neglected my maintenance. Initially they said the engine was not maintained, I immediately asked if there was any sludge. Mechanic then changed his statement. Quite frustrating as the car has had oil changes done every 6 months or less than 8000km / 5000 mile.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Along with the crappy engine design, now dealerships along with Kia/Hyundai are finding more ways to turn people away from their products by not honoring
engine replacements w/o a fight. Even in the U.S, where a settlement has been in place since last year, they still create chaos for people that have had their
engines seize by trying different tactics to avoid doing a replacement and/or supplying a loaner vehicle.. I find the tactics despicable, and I'm certain they get
away scot-free by challenging the people that are just not knowledgeable in this area.

People just need to be aware of their rights, but as you're in Canada, it looks like the settlement will be forthcoming in a few days, so hopefully they will do a
replacement shortly thereafter and although I see no provision for a loaner car in the Canadian settlement, maybe that will also be forthcoming.
Would like to give some positive feedback as how to deal with this situation, but what can one do when the dealership(s)/Corporate state they won't do a
replacement because of some fabricated reasoning, don't know, just keep fighting and when the settlement is finalized guess we'll see if they change their tune.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Genesis,

Your situation doesn't sound good. Would you mind sharing a little more information
with this audience? For example, what year is your vehicle, is it automatic or manual
and does it have compression? Did they bother to tell you just what was wrong with
your engine? Sounds odd that it went into limp mode and the motor is "shelled".
Just curious as to what is really wrong with the motor.

Thank you,
Paul

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Genesis,

Your situation doesn't sound good. Would you mind sharing a little more information
with this audience? For example, what year is your vehicle, is it automatic or manual
and does it have compression? Did they bother to tell you just what was wrong with
your engine? Sounds odd that it went into limp mode and the motor is "shelled".
Just curious as to what is really wrong with the motor.

Thank you,
Paul
OP has a 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T
Friends of ours, 2013 Optima 2.0T (74000 miles) went into limp mode in Baltimore, but made it
back home 135 miles, Bucks County, PA, albeit 2000 rpm max, so there is no definitive distance
one can travel after KSDS detects abnormal sound. Dealer replaced engine.

·
Registered
359 Posts
So that the issue is clear, are we talking about the Campaign Recall 162? (See Attachment)
If so, the dealer did perform the noise test and that is their reasoning for
stating the engine needs replacement? Am I on the right path here is there
another specific engine recall being addressed? Just curious.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So that the issue is clear, are we talking about the Campaign Recall 162? (See Attachment)
If so, the dealer did perform the noise test and that is their reasoning for
stating the engine needs replacement? Am I on the right path here is there
another specific engine recall being addressed? Just curious.
Dealer passed the car before. I think 1-2 years back. KSDS was installed as well. Pretty sure it failed 162 now, they weren't very specific as to exactly what it failed. It was something to do with excess wear and needs the engine to be replaced.

It's related to this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Along with the crappy engine design, now dealerships along with Kia/Hyundai are finding more ways to turn people away from their products by not honoring
engine replacements w/o a fight. Even in the U.S, where a settlement has been in place since last year, they still create chaos for people that have had their
engines seize by trying different tactics to avoid doing a replacement and/or supplying a loaner vehicle.. I find the tactics despicable, and I'm certain they get
away scot-free by challenging the people that are just not knowledgeable in this area.

People just need to be aware of their rights, but as you're in Canada, it looks like the settlement will be forthcoming in a few days, so hopefully they will do a
replacement shortly thereafter and although I see no provision for a loaner car in the Canadian settlement, maybe that will also be forthcoming.
Would like to give some positive feedback as how to deal with this situation, but what can one do when the dealership(s)/Corporate state they won't do a
replacement because of some fabricated reasoning, don't know, just keep fighting and when the settlement is finalized guess we'll see if they change their tune.
I don’t mind having to show maintenance records, that’s reasonable. What annoyed me was that they accused me of neglecting my engine. Luckily I’m versed with cars or else I would have fallen for the bait. If I didn’t respond asking to show me where the sludge was I’m sure I would have been denied there and then. Instead of them changing their tune of neglect to asking for maintenance records. Just feels like I have to fight for every little thing.

When it came to loaners the guy straight up said no. I then pointed out there website Hyundai Engine Recall Information | Hyundai Canada said otherwise. Said my vehicle wasn’t in warrranty. (This is true, however the warranty was extended due to manufacturer defect). I didn’t bother arguing as they started raising their voice becoming angry. So I just told him, I want our conversation in writing and I would write him an email listing what has been denied. Just about to send that email when they call me back saying a loaner will be given only after the engine is on it’s way / approved repair by Hyundai Canada.

Just so much misinformation given and only corrected when I retort back what I’m entitled. Can’t imagine what would have happened if my parents were the ones dealing with it. They would have been denied everything.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It is good you are capable and aware of when you are getting porked.
I am certain it is all related to the engine recall mentioned earlier. Glad
to hear they woke up and are going to support the recall. I hate to say it,
but everything I deal with lately is a battle and this covid situation just adds
insult to injury. Good job and good luck.

Paul

·
Registered
845 Posts
GenisesH Good Job.!! glad to see You didn't let them rip You off & You fought back.! (y) :)
Im sure the dealer knew all along about the engine recall why they would be giving You a hard time about it is beyond me,? especially when all the information regarding this engine recall is found online. lol

·
Registered
238 Posts
Many posts ago I was specifically told you did not have to show your maintenance records and oil changes. The 2013 2 T was under a 100,000 mi/10-year warranty and when the engine blew they had to flat out replace it. No fighting no nothing, Hyundai had to replace it. I have not been good at records and I hope I was informed correctly. Can anyone confirm what I am saying?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Many posts ago I was specifically told you did not have to show your maintenance records and oil changes. The 2013 2 T was under a 100,000 mi/10-year warranty and when the engine blew they had to flat out replace it. No fighting no nothing, Hyundai had to replace it. I have not been good at records and I hope I was informed correctly. Can anyone confirm what I am saying?
From the settlement:
The extension of the warranty covers all costs of inspections and repairs including, parts, labor, and diagnosis, for the engine short block assembly. Class members are suggested to retain all vehicle maintenance records after the Notice Date, and if Hyundai believes there to be Exceptional Neglect, such Class members may be required to provide records for vehicle maintenance performed after the Notice Date to receive Lifetime Warranty repairs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts