Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my first post :grin:

I have this problem since I purchased the vehicle second hand from October last year (2008). It is a 2005 Hyundai Terracan diesel with an automatic transmission. It has now done almost 65000km on the clock.

If I put my foot down on the accelerator and let it rev past 2100 rpm and immediately lift my foot off the accelerator and let the engine come back down to idle, the tacho will show the rev drop below idle (at around 800rpm or so) and causes the engine to cut out.

I have been to the dealer service center for about 3-4 times now and still have not got this problem resolved. I am close to desperation on this problem and am in need of further enlightenment.

To date from what they told me, they have fixed the following things to no avail:-
1) Fuel line pipes - replaced
2) Brake switch - replaced
3) Engine tune up - the service manager actually showed me a bunch of 8 digit hex codes and I presume these are for all four cylinders since there were four lines of this but all have different hex codes on it.

I am hoping that someone has experience with this problem before and could shed some light as to how to resolve it.

This problem is not only annoying, it is also dangerous. I rather not have my missus having to sue Hyundai if something happens to me because of this problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Antares,

Thanks for the reply.

The Terracan is serviced by the Hyundai dealership themselves so I presume they are using Hyundai fuel filters.

They have now come back to me and said that it maybe a fuel injector pump problem. The keyword here is maybe so I presume they are going on gut feeling here.

I will keep you all posted on the outcome.

Please let me know if you have encountered this problem with your Terracan and how it was resolved.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Cheen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since then, they have also replaced two more things:-

1. Air flow meter
2. Something in the fuel injector pump but I'm not sure what.

Anyhow, these did not cause the problem to go away although what the mechanic did was to try the same technique to cause the engine cut out on another two terracans that were in the yard for servicing. Both exhibited the same problem.

The only thing is that this can only be reproduced if you accelerate and then quickly lift your foot off the gas pedal to make it go back to idle and only if you do it abruptly. If you continue to rev before lifting the foot of the gas pedal, the problem does not happen.

I am wondering how many other people have tried this to see if the engine does cut out on them. You need to be in gear - mine is automatic so it has to be in D. If there is no load on the engine (as in it is in park or neutral) the problem does not occur. Just make sure that when one attempts this, it is in a safe area.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hi
You could ask them to check out the throttle position sensor (this does not show any fault on the computer) as these do go faulty regularly and this may also be coupled with faulty glo plugs.

Cheers

Itza

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the tips. I will take these to Hyundai and see if they can get to the bottom of this issue.

The engine cutting out problem is not as serious after they changed the parts mentioned - ie. fuel line pipes, brake switch etc. but still this problem only occurs at that very rare situation where I rev and then, quickly take my foot of the pedal. The engine will cut out.

If anyone has any further ideas or comments, I would like to know. I am currently compiling a list to take to Hyundai to check in September. Hopefully they can get this resolved and maybe help others who have this issue along the way also. Will be in touch then.

Once again, thanks to all who have posted tips and ideas about what could be the fault. Please keep them coming.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all, I know this has been a while. At the end my engine cutting out problem has been resolved. The guys at North Harbour Hyundai successfully resolved the issue. It was related to the injectors. They told me they replaced all the injectors with a higher tolerance and also remapped the engine management to these new injectors. Now even when I try to do the same thing to cause it to stall, the tacho wouldn't even dip a bit or cut the engine out for that matter. All good. This is only the second day since I got my car back after a week in the workshop so I will post back if the problem happens again. It is just something to check. It was quite a difficult problem and had everyone involved stumped. Anyhow, I'm happy this is finally resolved (so far) so if you don't hear back from me, it is all good news.

·
Registered
17 Posts
QUOTE (Cheen Ang @ Feb 26 2009, 05:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=218324
Hi all, my first post :grin:

I have this problem since I purchased the vehicle second hand from October last year (2008). It is a 2005 Hyundai Terracan diesel with an automatic transmission. It has now done almost 65000km on the clock.

If I put my foot down on the accelerator and let it rev past 2100 rpm and immediately lift my foot off the accelerator and let the engine come back down to idle, the tacho will show the rev drop below idle (at around 800rpm or so) and causes the engine to cut out.

I have been to the dealer service center for about 3-4 times now and still have not got this problem resolved. I am close to desperation on this problem and am in need of further enlightenment.

To date from what they told me, they have fixed the following things to no avail:-
3) Engine tune up - the service manager actually showed me a bunch of 8 digit hex codes and I presume these are for all four cylinders since there were four lines of this but all have different hex codes on it.

I am hoping that someone has experience with this problem before and could shed some light as to how to resolve it.

This problem is not only annoying, it is also dangerous. I rather not have my missus having to sue Hyundai if something happens to me because of this problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a solution for your Huyndai's 3.0L fault...The White wire that multiples battery from the 50A Main Fusible Link Box to the Fusible Link Box is going open...It is the +12 volt power feed to the; Electronic Control Module (ECM), A/C, and the Ignition Key...When the fault occurs it is much like shutting off the key...These are very difficult faults to point at the actual break, loose joint, Loose Fusible Link or corrosion which causes the lead to go open...I would suggest running an 8 Gauge wire across the mentioned points and see if the problem is repaired...If so make the connection permanent...

The Main Fusible Link Box is located near the battery...The Fusible Link Box Is also under the hood...In this box are two links (Large Fuses); Link D...20A... (ECM) and Link F...30A (ignition)...If either one are loose or or corroded it will also cause the fault.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Kotamike,

Thanks for the tip. I will keep this in mind. Btw, are you talking about the V6 petrol or the 2.9 CRDi diesel engine? It has almost been a year since I reported that the problem for my vehicle have been resolved and it still is. The 2.9 CRDi engine is a gem of an engine and is a pleasure to drive. Very smooth and quiet and returns very decent fuel economy of around 10.x l/100km around town or less when doing open road driving.

QUOTE (Kotamike @ Oct 30 2010, 08:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367467
I have a solution for your Huyndai's 3.0L fault...The White wire that multiples battery from the 50A Main Fusible Link Box to the Fusible Link Box is going open...It is the +12 volt power feed to the; Electronic Control Module (ECM), A/C, and the Ignition Key...When the fault occurs it is much like shutting off the key...These are very difficult faults to point at the actual break, loose joint, Loose Fusible Link or corrosion which causes the lead to go open...I would suggest running an 8 Gauge wire across the mentioned points and see if the problem is repaired...If so make the connection permanent...

The Main Fusible Link Box is located near the battery...The Fusible Link Box Is also under the hood...In this box are two links (Large Fuses); Link D...20A... (ECM) and Link F...30A (ignition)...If either one are loose or or corroded it will also cause the fault.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Fault with Terracan

Hi, I am experiencing the same fault and have had the vehicle in for numerous repairs with no real solutions. From my investigations this is a very common fault and my concern is that this places the vehicle in a dangerous state,

Did you get any assistance from Hyundai with the repairs, can you indicate what the cost was to undertake the repairs?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
So when i get a proper manual posted to me i will be blanking off the EGR VALVE.

On top of that my intention is to locate all the sensors on the air intake and and the exhaust. Identify them check the condition.

Then clean all the components manually if possible.

Then try a DIESEL ENGINE INTAKE DECARB spray. 1 can and then possibly another can next service.

I will then test to see if the engine cuts out as above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all, my first post 😁

Be careful with the dealers because they charge like crazy for parts and they have no idea of what they are doing!I ran into this problem here in New Zealand and got a real runaround!Be careful and ask questions because I complained on the Hyundai helpline here and got told(too bad so sad)go to a mechanic you can trust!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts