Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Santa Fe Limited V6 AWD Canada
So I decided to give my Santa Fe a good spring cleaning yesterday and now it will no longer start.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted all the details there, as I am hoping for some advice.

While vacuuming the driver’s side foot well, I noticed that the remote starter’s “Transponder bypass” unit was loose and dangling under the dash. So I got in there on my back and secured it with two zip ties.

And then, like I do every spring, I sprayed an Engine Degreaser under the hood, being careful not to directly spray any electrical connections. But I did spray the underside of the hood, the latch, the inner fenders, firewall, engine cover, etc.

Went to start the Santa Fe before I hosed off the degreaser and it will crank but not start.

So I’m thinking either the transponder unit somehow got disconnected\broken or something under hood got wet with the degreaser. But really, I never pulled hard on anything under the dash nor did I spray very much engine degreaser under the hood.

So, I verified all of the plugs under the dash are connected and I pulled apart one of the four black-taped connections to the Transponder Bypass Unit and it seemed okay and then I put it back together. I never checked the other three as they looked fine. (On a side note I will say that I am disappointed that a dealer installed remote starter is only wired in using splices and black tape instead of properly soldered connections).

Under the hood I disconnected and used a can of compressed air to blow out any dirt and then reconnected half a dozen different connections that could be easily accessed. None seemed wet and the car still cranks but does not start.

I really think the most likely culprit is the Transponder Bypass. Or something completely unrelated to either of these items.

On page 4-3 of my owner’s manual (picture attached) it mentions a limp home mode that seems to bypass the transponder by entering a password using the key. I’d like to give this a try to see if I can bypass that feature.

So my questions:
Does anyone know what the “password” would be to use that limp-home mode to bypass the Transponder? I’ve read all the documents I have with my manual and I can’t find anything that seems like a password.

Any ideas what else could be causing my Crank, but not start issue? If I soon don’t get this fixed I’ll have to get it towed to the dealer to see what they can make of it. But that will cost me a small fortune I’m sure.

Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Immobilizer light on the dash at all. And honestly I don't think I've ever seen it on before; I don't even know where it would be. I attached a picture taken just after the key is turned on.

I'm going to go out now and pull apart the four splices going to the Immobilizer Unit that had dropped from the dash yesterday and make sure all those wires are connected properly. And by the time I get that done and crank it a few more times I think the battery will likely die. It's still turns over, but not as quickly as normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
The light (on my 2008) is a car with a key in the icon. Mine will show top left where your "lock" symbol is between the speedo and tach

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a look in the manual and I do see the diagram of where the Immobilizer light would be. But I don't think I have ever seen that light "on" in my Santa Fe. I really don't. And it's still not on now when cycling the key.

I just got back in from checking those wires again under the dash - disconnected the three other wires from the Immobilizer unit and then reconnected them - they all looked fine anyway - but the car is behaviong the same - engine cranks, but will not start.

I think it's time to take it to a pro - but I dont know if I should go the cheaper route and tow it to my local garage and hope they know enough about Santa Fes to figure it out or if I should just tow it to the Hynudai dealer and pay a premium knowing that they will figure it out no matter what.

I hate car trouble...makes me want to get a new one!

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
First check the fuses and relays
You don't want to tow the vehicle is it is something as simple as that??
Then see if you have spark while cranking
And see if there is fuel pressure at the rail
See if the injectors are firing

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did check the fuses and they were good. I looked at the relays, pulled them out and put back in but i have no idea how to test them. I will check for spark tomorrow. But i dont know how to check fuel pressure, so that will be reserved for a pro. I have an appointment for Friday so if I do not get it running tomorrow I will get it towed in.

Thanks gor the tips.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pulled out the middle front plug and cranked the engine today - no spark. Tried it twice to make sure. There is definitely no spark there.

Is this the type of behaviour I would expect if the problem was with the Immobilizer system?

Any other ideas before I tow it to a pro to look at it tomorrow?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, if the immobilizer doesn't "see" your key its not supposed to start.
Try your spare key, see if you get the same result.
Just turn the ignition on, don't crank the engine over, you should see the lock symbol.
Ours does not show up once in a while, I turn the key off then back on and wait till I see the lock symbol, everything works after that.

There was a thread not so long ago talking about the immobilizer antenna connection, basically said clean up that wiring connection.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
From what I remember, the immobilizer usually stops the fuel pump from running
Could be wrong?
No spark? You tested at the plug?
Are you sure there was a proper ground for it?

Anyway, did you see the immobilizer symbol?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
avisitor-

I did test for spark at the plug, but there was no spark. I cranked it twice with the remote starter while I watched the plug.

I did not see the Immobilizer light and I don't think I ever have seen it since I bought the Santa Fe 6 years ago.

I did remove the ground from the fender and used a Dremmel to remove the paint to make sure there was a good connection. But it made no difference.

Had it towed to a local garage. Today they said his diagnostic computer reported that the Santa Fe is in "test" mode. It still will not start, so he thinks something got wet under the hood, so will leave it in the shop for the weekend and check it again on Monday.

I really do not think it is wet and I expect on Monday it still will not start and I'll have to get it towed to my Hyundai dealer to check it out. Will wait and see.

My wife is out of town this week with our 2nd vehicle and I have to say I really hate being without a car.... I feel like a prisoner at home LOL!

Scott.

·
Registered
130 Posts
avisitor-

I did test for spark at the plug, but there was no spark. I cranked it twice with the remote starter while I watched the plug.

I did not see the Immobilizer light and I don't think I ever have seen it since I bought the Santa Fe 6 years ago.

I did remove the ground from the fender and used a Dremmel to remove the paint to make sure there was a good connection. But it made no difference.

Had it towed to a local garage. Today they said his diagnostic computer reported that the Santa Fe is in "test" mode. It still will not start, so he thinks something got wet under the hood, so will leave it in the shop for the weekend and check it again on Monday.

I really do not think it is wet and I expect on Monday it still will not start and I'll have to get it towed to my Hyundai dealer to check it out. Will wait and see.

My wife is out of town this week with our 2nd vehicle and I have to say I really hate being without a car.... I feel like a prisoner at home LOL!

Scott.
From what I remember, the immobilizer usually stops the fuel pump from running
Could be wrong?

You are right.

Sounds like you may have more than one problem, good luck.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Local garage says that my Santa Fe is giving error code 1691 which means a problem with the Immobilizer antenna. So they are going to run that down today to see if they can figure it out and resolve it.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
Going by what the mechanic says ..
The antenna that goes around the ignition key ...
Sometimes gives rise to connection issues
I believe that @AUTOSPARK has recommended that the connections be cleaned and soldered in other threads

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,951 Posts
I believe that @AUTOSPARK has recommended that the connections be cleaned and soldered in other threads
Yeah, this is quite a common issue on other Hyundai models. Not seen too many posts about it on the Santa Fe forum though, but take a look at the thread at the link below. As usual, the OP in that thread didn't report back to confirm the fix, so we don't know if it was the ring antenna or not.

The "transponder bypass" on scknf's car is an added complication. I don't know how the bypass works so the problem could be with that rather than the ring antenna on this car.

2007-2012 CM Santa Fe - 3.5V6 Starting Issue

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the details on the Immobilizer antenna. I did a little googling on it yesterday, so at least I understand it better than I did before.

Code P1691 says "Antenna coil open/short circuit"

Small update: The local neighbourhood garage that had my Santa Fe has run out of ideas\skills to fix this. They had disconnected the T-connector going from the antenna to the remote starter's Immobilizer bypass, but it never made any difference - engine still cranks but will not start. I had it towed to the Hyundai dealership this morning. I am confident that the dealer will be able to figure it out and get it running again.

I'll report back with a final update once its fixed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Don't rule out a bad battery connection, perhaps aggravated by the cleaning. I had a crank but no start situation and was ready to dig in to the immobilizer, changed the battery, and no problem. Apparently the voltage to run the engine computer is higher than what is needed to crank the engine.
-Chris

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
Thanks for the update

Let me understand, you had a battery that had enough power to crank the engine but not start
Cause it didn't have enough power to run the ECU????

A new battery change .. fixed the no start issue???

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
avisitor - No, the issue was unrelated to the battery. The battery is only a couple of years old and is in good working condition. It seems the root cause of my issue was the Immobilizer antenna - code P1691 (open circuit or short circuit in that antenna). My vehicle is still in the garage (Hyundai dealer), but a new Immobilizer antenna coil was ordered yesterday and should arrive today to be installed. Once I have it back I will report back with a final update.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the update

Let me understand, you had a battery that had enough power to crank the engine but not start
Cause it didn't have enough power to run the ECU????

A new battery change .. fixed the no start issue???
Surprisingly, yes. This was back when I owned a 2011 3.5 liter. For more detail see my thread here:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/cm-20...73-disabling-canadian-immobilizer-system.html
There is some good immobilizer info there.

But to sum up my problem: I had the battery voltage dip down to 9.3 volts while cranking. It sounded like it was cranking fine to my ears, but the new battery at a volt or two higher cleared the no start problem.

I did not read this thread carefully enough to notice that Scott's car had thrown an immobilizer code, my bad (gotta stop posting late at night). But someone with a no code, no start situation might have this battery issue.
-Chris

1 - 20 of 33 Posts