Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I noticed yesterday the car engine cooling fan seems to be on a lot of the time. I checked this morning and from stone cold it was off. When I got to work it was on although I hadnt been sitting in traffic. I left the car ticking over for 5-10 minutes and the fan did not go off. Is this normal? 2013 i30 diesel 1.6 128ps sport, UK model. Thanks Vince.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
if it does turn on and off, don't worry about it. its designed to maintain your coolant temperature and sounds like its doing its job. keep an eye on the temp gauge. if its abnormally high or low then something is up.

its possible you may have a thermostat not fully opening or a rad with rotting out cooling fins. both would reduce cooling capacity and the fan would run longer since less heat is being transferred. both these are generally older vehicles though...for a 2013 maybe a faulty thermostat.

but like i said, i would not worry about it unless the fan is running non stop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Starting the car from cold the fan is off, before the temp starts showing on the temp gauge the fan is cutting in and out. The car seems to be taking some time to warm up and when warm the fan is on constantly. Booked into the dealers next week to check under warranty.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Slightly off topic, but when you say 'warm up', Vince, I expect you mean for the temp gauge to hit normal.

But if you mean for the heater to get hot - well, on the diesels I've recently tested or hired (i30 and Toyota Avensis) the heaters were abysmal. We also had diesel Fords (pool cars) at work but I don't recall what they were like.

Because diesels run cooler, are the heaters generally worse than petrol?

Cheers - Peter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts