Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my previous cars, i though i could just top off engine coolant by just pooring in antifreeze

in the sonata 2015 se manual it says i need to mix antifreeze with deionized , distilled, or soft water

50/50 mix

looking at buying antifreeze, but looks like its all concentrate?

does anywhere sell antifreeze already 50/50 mixed?

what antifreeze you guys use?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I see mostly 50/50 at the stores? Have you been to Walmart?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Buy the raw stuff, it'll go twice as far as the mix stuff.. you be overpaying for free water..

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
He saying to buy 100% coolant and dilute it yourself.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yeah mix it yourself is very common. A jug of distilled water is dirt cheap, I usually mix 50/50 but and don’t bother checking with a hydrometer for freeze point.

Premix is easy but more expensive.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I mix 1 bottle of raw to 3/4 bottle of water

Reactions: Saleem and NDSE

·
Registered
37 Posts
When you go to Walmart, most of them will be 50/50 mix, but if you look closely one of them will be a concentrate. This is the 100% one... It is a few dollars more, but you are actually getting two gallons worth since you can mix distilled water yourself.

Source: Just purchased it from Walmart three days ago.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
If you are into a few years into your coolant,here is another way to add to see how good or bad your coolant is. Using a volt meter touch the black wire of the volt meter to the negative battery terminal and dip the red wire lead into the coolant and read the value.For the heck of it,I checked mine with just over 15k miles on the coolant.Value showed .14 volts,but,highest value was .20V. I did this check on cold coolant,but,should be done on warm coolant,preferably with car running.Will check another day after using the car.

Up to .5 V,coolant is good.
.5V and up,coolant should be changed

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts