Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my FWD Kona Limited home about two weeks ago. No issue with the car so far.

I've been thinking, how similar is the 1.6L Turbo engine to that of the Elantra GT Sport? I know the horsepower output differs by about 30. Could that be remedied by a tune?

Anybody have any insight?

·
Registered
63 Posts
So Kona 1.6T has 175 base and through Dyno it comes in very close to the factory numbers and was to the amazement of my tuner that it had so close to this and even others have made the comments in groups that it could be faster then the GT.

Other design differences is the 1.6 on the Kona the turbo is mounted on top were are the GT is mounted on the backside which has made it hard to find crossover parts - CAI, Charge Pipes, even just a dry drop in only one that makes the filter is K&N for now. Same goes for exhaust and the only maker Jun BL out of Korea for 550 and higher plus shipping.

So overall yes it can be tuned but prepared to have to get a CAI, Exhaust and a Downpipe but not required but to get the most out of tune it would be beneficial but due to the Kona being new on the market no one has tune or parts yet for these ,only performance chips but highly avoid these as they are generic and not have a dyno result to back it up. Any good tuner SXTH,LAP 3 and others only have backed up car specific dyno results and flash tune and will provide a spare ecu for swap out just in case of warranty work etc.

Results from a tune is a possible 40+ hp and 100 + in torque. I have the only Kona so far that has been on the Dyno that I am aware of and a Tune waiting for me SXTH has one in R&D and has plans to have parts out soon.

All comes with loss of possible warranty but possibly not if you talk to the dealer in Austin or close by an see who is cool with mods, I know that with STI owners dealerships like to see mods and since you are in that area there is a lot of Hyundai owners with mods. Look at joining a KDM group on facebook and find the Austin group.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
One member here had his 1.6T in the Tucson tuned at a cost of $1000 with his ad on's. His gain was 16 HP and 23 TQ. Expensive gain IMO.

One thing to remember, all have the same 195 TQ numbers. Why the HP drop in the Tucson and Kona, only Hyundai knows.

The Veloster, Elantra Sport and GT have 195 and the Tucson and Kona have 175.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Good horsepower gains, cost money. 1K is just a drop in the bucket but if it wasn't done correctly you're going to get poor results.

If and I say; if he did it all at once and didn't do it in stages, he may have gotten a poor combination of performance parts. I have no idea what he put on the Tucson. However, a down pipe, larger intercooler, CAI, exhaust, properly matched and tuned should net around 30 whp. It's not until you to tune for the parts, you will actually see these type of gains. From experience, it sounds like he bolted on parts, expecting a greater gain and didn't do his diligence or have it tuned correctly. This simply a guess on my part.

·
Registered
63 Posts
One member here had his 1.6T in the Tucson tuned at a cost of $1000 with his ad on's. His gain was 16 HP and 23 TQ. Expensive gain IMO.

One thing to remember, all have the same 195 TQ numbers. Why the HP drop in the Tucson and Kona, only Hyundai knows.

The Veloster, Elantra Sport and GT have 195 and the Tucson and Kona have 175.
1000 for 16hp/23 torque basically scammed , the 1.6T has true potential of like I stated 40-60 hp/ 100+ torque depending on which tune - zero ,stage 1 and pushing it would be a stage 2. But all require as I stated CAI, Exhaust all with a 93 octane,down pipe would be for stage 1.
As I posted mine had easy 10+ hp just from a CAI which gave it 196 hp so gains are easy but always require a proper tune and dyno not just a flash or piggy back.

And yes as far as they do drop of at 4500, as I saw in the dyno report so a tune will clean this up and keep the power band straight across instead of dropping off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Was more curious about the compatibility of performance parts for the Elantra GT Sport and the Kona Limited. Also, didn't know if the Kona just had a tuned down version of the engine in the EGTS.

Interesting to learn that the engines are pretty different.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Was more curious about the compatibility of performance parts for the Elantra GT Sport and the Kona Limited. Also, didn't know if the Kona just had a tuned down version of the engine in the EGTS.

Interesting to learn that the engines are pretty different.
Engine is the same Gamma but the design from the charge pipes to the location of the turbo is what separates the two. The Elantra /GT intake cannot fit on the Kona due to design of the OEM intake, as far as DP that is a grey area as no one has done any R&D work in the Kona yet , Sxth Element was suppose to be doing it but I feel they dropped out due to Veloster R spec and N that have come out so we have been pushed to the bottom and AEM again same thing there and AFE states they love Hyundai but since we are considered as many call these a grocery getter. So if we all push them and make them listen and of course money talks then they might listen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts