Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Sonata 3.3, 80,000 miles. After getting fuel I stopped about 2-3 miles away, when driving after a restart threw a CEL. Went to autozone and they gave these codes (P2189 and P0153) and were telling me possibly O2 sensor or Vacuum leak. Engine seems to run fine. Not sure if related but while fueling, gas pump was sputtering and I thought oh no. Wonder if I got bad gas and if it could throw these codes? I have since threw a bottle of Techron in and drove about 5-7 miles. I have had major work done with Timing covers twice. So it is possible a line may have came off but that was a few thousand miles ago. I pulled the cover and looked for any visible hoses off, did not see any. Don't want to spray with carb cleaner since it is dark out. I am still under the 100,000 warranty, so not sure if this would even be covered or not or whether I am doing irreparable damage. I saw other posts mentioning PVC issues?

Thanks

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Check the underside of the rubber tube between the MAF and throttle body for a rip/tear in the boot material that will allow air into the tract that the MAF does not know about.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Will check tomorrow afternoon. If that is the issue, will the light clear or do I have to get it reset?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Codes set in PCM do not go away unless somebody go in and manually erase them..

MIL may go out after so many key cycle, as it is not a "fatal" code that will kill a cat like a misfire.. code will still be there.

Driveability/MIL concerns is 5yr/60

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engine light went off after I would say 5 or so starts and approximately 100 miles. Now the question is, if it is in memory, will I fail to pass emissions? The dealer wants 75 bucks to clear the memory, Autozone won't do it anymore, and local Mechanic wants 25. Maybe it is time to just invest in a scan tool.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The engine light went off after I would say 5 or so starts and approximately 100 miles.
Non-fatal code, light go out, code set for discovery, and remain there until cleared.

Now the question is, if it is in memory, will I fail to pass emissions?
NO,, most inspect is plug into DLC, use CARB OBD-II, and view list.. 1 item on list is "MIL",, it'll say on or off... next item they look at is "number of DTC".... if "0", and Readiness Tests complete, you PASS.. 1 or more DTC in the DTC line will be a FAILURE,, and so will Readiness Test that not complete

The dealer wants 75 bucks to clear the memory,
Yes, the GDS is an expensive piece of required equipment required per Hyundai rules, and they have to keep it up and running, and they have to pay somebody for work time to use it, hence the general 1hr shop diag rate

Autozone won't do it anymore,
I think by law you not allowed to freely erase codes unless for testing purposes or completion of repair attempt, likely looking at it as a liabilty on their part..

and local Mechanic wants 25.
He not wanting to work for free, he has money tied up in equipment too that need to be used to turn a profit for his employer

Maybe it is time to just invest in a scan tool.
I try to answer without being too rude I hope

Had a lady that went to a parts store, had DTC, and had them erase it.. comes here and makes noise over shop charge, then signs ticket for us to inspect. Scanned it, no DTC, they threw the info out the window before she brought car here, and had fit we could not do anything with it as DTC was gone and car was running fine.. which part you want me to install first ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No offense taken, I think you clarified. I was going to my local Dealer tonight but cancelled in lieu of light going out. If it does come back on I will get it looked at properly, I will mention it when I schedule the brake light switch replacement.
thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts