Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Hyundai Elantra 2000 2.0 DOHC]My mother recently broke down on the highway and we ended up towing the vehicle. Brought it back home and the first thing I noticed is that the radiator was empty. Almost no oil in the engine either. I'm hoping that the block didn't crack. So i charged the battery since it was dead for some reason. I Cranked the engine and it sounds almost like there is no compression in the motor. Now I really feel like it's cracked, but i still have hope for the car. Can anyone give me some kind of hint or clue of what it might be i would greatly appreciate it. :liebe011:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Before you go buying a new motor, check out a few things:

1. Make sure the timing belt is still in one piece. Remove the timing belt cover, or maybe easier, remove the valve cover, and take a look. The problem could be "just" a broken timing belt.

2. Check to make sure that you have spark. Remove one of the spark plugs, reattach it to its wire, and ground it while someone else cranks the engine. Do you see a spark? If no, you could "simply" have an ignition problem, like a dead ignition coil, or a blown fusible.

3. Check that you are getting fuel. Remove the spark plugs, crank the engine. Do you smell fuel? If not, maybe the fuel pump has died.

4. Do a compression test on all cylinders. This will tell you for sure whether or not you have compression.

5. Refill the radiator, pressurize it, and look for leaks. Maybe there is a loose hose, or the water pump has gone out, or some other reason that the coolant is gone.

The best time to do these diagnostics is before you pull the engine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Every day occurrence with the 2.0.... overheat, it's done.

Heads warp real easy, upper tanks crack/blow out... look at fill neck where radiator cap rubber is supposed to seat/seal. does it look all ate up, no raised ring/rib circle around opening ?

Just had 1 (tech beside me) that had 3 head gaskets elsewhere, brought it to us... head was at .003, block (deck) was at .005, customer wanted it assembled, they got it, NO WARRANTY...

Good luck with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts