Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we need to baby our 2.0t for the first couple of months? Any tips would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
962 Posts
Follow the recommendations in your owners manual. The info is there. Hyundai wouldn't steer you wrong on break-in, and offer a 10 year warranty. They want your vehicle to last and be trouble free.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Watch your oil change interval during this period, failure to follow the prescribed intervals will void that treasured warranty.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
there's really nothing special for break in with modern engines. just what little the OM says is good enough.

reason for this is the manufacturing tolerances have gotten much tighter over the years - most notably the piston bore dimensions are much tighter. there's very little of the rings wearing to the bore now.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Just drive it like you would any other day.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Just avoid letting it "idle" for more than a few minutes, and don't rev the engine for the first 3-5,000 km (pedal to the metal)...

Then let'er rip!

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Just avoid letting it "idle" for more than a few minutes, and don't rev the engine for the first 3-5,000 km (pedal to the metal)...

Then let'er rip!

We let them to warm up in stall while doing PDI.. then shut off for full fault code search, battery test,, then out for regular everyday drive.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would just add it makes sense to use synthetic oil on any GDI or turbocharged engine. When you do get around to the first oil change I would seriously consider using a good, readily available synthetic like Pennzoil Platinum,etc. if you aren't already a member of the choir...typically changed a little earlier than the recommended first oil change mileage in the manual. Generally, I follow the manual/warranty and use OEM oil filters ( they're very good ) and record all maintenance/parts with receipts. I think Hyundai gives a Service Log booklet in the new car packet of all their cars. OK, that might be "post break-in" but those items could be more important than the break-in itself over the course of ownership. Good Luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
From the owner manual :

VEHICLE BREAK-IN PROCESS
No special break-in period is needed.
By following a few simple precautions
for the first 600 miles (1,000 km) you
may add to the performance, economy
and life of your vehicle.
• Do not race the engine.
• While driving, keep your engine
speed (rpm, or revolutions per
minute) between 2,000 rpm and
4,000 rpm.
• Do not maintain a single speed for
long periods of time, either fast or
slow. Varying engine speed is
needed to properly break-in the
engine.
• Avoid hard stops, except in emergencies,
to allow the brakes to seat
properly.
• Do not let the engine idle longer
than 3 minutes at one time.

I took somewhat care during the first 1000km, then pedal to the metal! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts