Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So right now I'm vacationing in the Smoky Mountains, and the driving here requires "gearing down" while going down steep grades. I tried this today, downshifting into 2nd (going around 25-30mph) and then I felt a big thud and the tach bounced around a bit, almost like it shifted into 1st then neutral for a second. This scared me so I shifted back into "D".

Every car I've owned before I've been able to shift to a lower gear to keep from overheating my brakes, but it appears it may not be possible with this car. Anybody else here live in a mountainous area and use engine braking?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never been a fan of that approach. I'd rather replace brake pads than do engine work.
Yeah I probably won't try it with this car again, I just hate it when I can smell my brake pads burning.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I go over mountains everyday here in NE PA. Downshifting to bring the speed down makes the revs go waaaay up but the car doesn't really seem to low at all. A marked change from the 6-cyl engines I've driven previously. So I just stick to using the brakes.

It is a little better at the top of a hill if I put it in a lower gear to keep the car from taking off, however.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
what it is trying to do is make your engine run backwards...it only works on diesels as they have high compression...but a small gas motor will not be happy with you for doing this ..and your transmission doesn't like it either....
you had better luck with the 6 cyl because it was a bigger motor
I strongly recommend you Do not continue this behavior with gas engines

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
You lost me here. The engine is revving high but is not running backwards. Just a stab of the gas gets it accelerating again.
I think he is referring to the retarder mechanisms on diesel engines. Our cars do not have such a mechanism so engine braking is minimal. On a big truck, the retarder is essential to slow them big boys down without destroying the air brake system.

Admittedly, I do a lot of "downshifting" with the paddles and lever but never where it makes the engine RPMs go really high. Besides the rev limiter that prevents redlining while in manumatic mode, the transmission also has logic built in to it that prevents downshifts that would result in driveline damage.

I know this because you cannot downshift to the lower gears (1 or 2) if you are going too fast---the transmission will keep the gear until you reduce both vehicle and engine speed.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You lost me here. The engine is revving high but is not running backwards. Just a stab of the gas gets it accelerating again.
It basically just turns it into an air pump. The engine stills runs normally, just without fuel. I'd never downshift it to run anywhere near redline, I was talking about speeds of 30-40 mph in 2nd or 3rd gear, probably nothing over 4k rpm.

Still though, the transmissions in our cars don't seem to be designed to do this, so I won't try it again.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
"Still though, the transmissions in our cars don't seem to be designed to do this, so I won't try it again."

That's why they omitted the downshift paddle . . . oh wait-- I use mine all the time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This won't harm the engine/transmission. If you heard a thud and have slippage in your tranny you may want to pay a visit to your local Hyundai dealer for some transmission diagnostics as that is not normal. That was a sign from my OLD Hyundai Excel about 30 minutes before the transmission said "no thanks" and took it's own life.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
This won't harm the engine/transmission. If you heard a thud and have slippage in your tranny you may want to pay a visit to your local Hyundai dealer for some transmission diagnostics as that is not normal. That was a sign from my OLD Hyundai Excel about 30 minutes before the transmission said "no thanks" and took it's own life.
LOL:clap:

The situation is horrible but the descriptive language is priceless.

A beer for you sir!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I use mine alot to downshift if I have to come to a hard stop. But I never downshift into 2nd if I can avoid it. I find all gears smooth except that 3rd to 2nd.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've used the manual shift to drop down a gear or two when going down steep hills. It definitely does keep the car from building too much speed. Never had any issues with any rough downshifts but that was at more like 50-60 mph, not 30.

On long steep downhill grades, it's not safe to just rely on the brakes to keep your speed down. If you overheat your brakes, then what?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had to drop it down a couple of gears today and it did fine, so I'm thinking that thunk I felt a few days ago must have just been an odd quirk.

Kinda related, I also noticed that after a week of driving in mountainous terrain, my transmission has adapted to it. Seems like it holds gears longer, and while cruising at 50mph if I lightly tap the brakes it'll shift down into 4th on its on. So I guess the adaptive part of the transmission learns your terrain and how much power you need.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts