Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the Hybrid has the vents to block air flow, where would you run the cord if you install a complete winterization (engine block heater, battery blanket, trickle charger, oil pan heater). Usually on vehicles with the battery up front they tie all plug-ins to one socket and run it out the front grill.

In the case of the Sonata Hybrid that would not allow the air **** to close.

Thanks for any help you can shed on this for me. Living in Fairbanks with possible temps of -60F requires some extreme winterization stuff to be added to the vehicle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reply to vinnyg

While I have read that forum posting before, it does not help me with the answer to my question.

Although I will say thank you because that forum post does provide a reminder to possibly look for an auxiliary heater for the cab of the car as well as seeing how feasible the heater in the trunk is. I am sure when you are at home that is feasible, but what about at the end of the work day?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes, they have found that -60 and just a block heater generally is not even close to being enough. The battery gets so cold that it won't have enough juice to crank the motor over. We average -25 to -40 normally, but it will dip down for a week or so and be colder.

Just not sure how that is going to work being that the battery is in the rear, the engine block heater and oil pan would be upfront. My main concern is that they usually put the cord out the front, and with the air **** vent that opens and closes it isn't ideal to block it from closing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Join the Kia Optima Hybrid forum as they have the same drivetrain as the HSH. They might be able to help.

Optima Hybrid

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wag

Well Santa, it looks like your WAG is as good as any at this point. I do have a text into my salesman to check with a mechanic and see what they advise. I was hoping I could get a solid answer on here, because I am sure there are people that have installed on (especially some of our Canadian friends).

I am interested to see how they plan on doing the battery blanket and stuff being that it is located in the trunk. This is not all that uncommon though, as I guess there are other vehicles that have the battery in the trunk as well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If I was living up that far north, I would try as hard as I could to find an indoor parking location. I guess you might still need the heating eqp if you drive it to work and let it sit for a while...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts