Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to change my engine air filter as it still has the original one. Until now I've just been periodically checking it and using a vacuum to clean any surface material and also vacuum out the box that holds the filter. It still looks decent but I figure it's best to replace it anyways.

My local Hyundai dealer says they're $27.
Canadian Tire has a Fram brand filter for $19 (sale) or $21 (regular price).

Price isn't too different and frankly I always thought they were more like $50+. I'm not too knowledgeable about cars though so I'm wondering if a Hyundai air filter is always the best? Could the Fram one possibly be better? Or some other brand? Ideally I can buy in-person instead of online.

Finally, this is my first car and I've never gotten parts from a dealer. If I go with them to get an air filter do I just walk in and buy one or is this something that needs to be ordered in advance?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Go with the Fram or other quality filter. The dealers filter is no better than anyone else's. The same advice goes for the cabin air filter, as wellm

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
If you go to dealer just go to the parts department and ask for it, like any other store.

If you go aftermarket just make sure the fit is the same, you don't want any air leaks. By the same I mean really a good tight fit in that box and gasket..

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
i know this is canada, but i just now today got in 2 genuine hyundai air filters from amazon 14.39ea. i get free ship from prime. now all i gotta do is get up the motivation to go change them. and, since i just got thru ripping apart the console to change out a usb cable from the pinear, ima take a nap first. then watch a little tv, maybe have a couple tacos, another nap, dang, i got a lot to do. being retired, stuff just aint important any more.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I will be getting OEM since in my area it is about some price as the Fram. Used Fram close to 200k on my last car with no problems. Unlike the Napa (Wix) filter that had a 1" hole in it in 3k miles. My car did suck, but the filter did also.

The problem is good filter one day may be a become a bad one the next depending on who gets the bid to make the filter. OEM is a safe option especially regarding warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know this is canada, but i just now today got in 2 genuine hyundai air filters from amazon 14.39ea. i get free ship from prime. now all i gotta do is get up the motivation to go change them. and, since i just got thru ripping apart the console to change out a usb cable from the pinear, ima take a nap first. then watch a little tv, maybe have a couple tacos, another nap, dang, i got a lot to do. being retired, stuff just aint important any more.
I buy oem on eBay for about $12.00 for the Sonata and $16.00 for the Santa Fe including shipping.
How can you tell what is OEM or not when buying online? Is there a part number of some sort?

What about this? Seems about $18CAD after shipping. If it's the exact same as the one I'd get at the dealer then I'll consider it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Parts-...e:1.8L+1797CC+l4+GAS+DOHC+Naturally+Aspirated

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Part number should be in owner's manual or if you have an OEM filter now it will have the part number on it. I pulled air and cabin filter to get part numbers off them.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Reactions: BobbyBouchee

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
How can you tell what is OEM or not when buying online? Is there a part number of some sort?

What about this? Seems about $18CAD after shipping. If it's the exact same as the one I'd get at the dealer then I'll consider it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Parts-...e:1.8L+1797CC+l4+GAS+DOHC+Naturally+Aspirated
Original box from Hyundai and the filter says Hyundai as well with part number. When searching, filter the search from USA shipping and free shipping. Free shipping is naturally included in the prices.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I get my OEM air and oil filters from Rockauto, dirt cheap. Air filter is $9.89(cdn) + shipping. I usually purchase a few other items (ex: wiper blades, cabin filters) to offset the shipping costs.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/hyundai,2013,elantra,1.8l+l4,1503917,fuel+&+air,air+filter,6192 Click on "AUTO 7" that's the OEM filter.
Interesting. So if Auto 7 is an OEM manufacturer, does that mean there are other makers of OEM parts for Hyundai too? As in there could be multiple OEM manufacturers of the same part for the same vehicle?

If you make a bulk order such as a bunch of engine air filters and cabin air filters, are there any worry of material degradation? For example my manual says the air filter should be changed every 2 years (or 48,000km). If I buy a bunch to lower the shipping cost, I could potentially have enough air filters for a decade+. But 5 years from now I'm just wondering if the filters will still work the same.

I do plan on driving this car into the ground so hopefully the car is still running 15 years from now. But who knows, maybe I do end up changing cars after a while or may need to replace it due to an accident. Then I would have a ton of parts that'll go to waste lol.

Finally, I'm assuming these ship from US. Do you ever get hit with customs charges?

·
Registered
246 Posts
ummm. so, have you seen the actual test results of those filters? as in, how much MORE dirt they pass?
Yah, I've seen the propaganda both for and against them. I've used them in various vehicles over the years and never had an issue.
I'll buy one if I can get a discount, if not I'll use the toss-aways. Just trying to keep some garbage out of the dumps.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Interesting. So if Auto 7 is an OEM manufacturer, does that mean there are other makers of OEM parts for Hyundai too? As in there could be multiple OEM manufacturers of the same part for the same vehicle?

If you make a bulk order such as a bunch of engine air filters and cabin air filters, are there any worry of material degradation? For example my manual says the air filter should be changed every 2 years (or 48,000km). If I buy a bunch to lower the shipping cost, I could potentially have enough air filters for a decade+. But 5 years from now I'm just wondering if the filters will still work the same.

I do plan on driving this car into the ground so hopefully the car is still running 15 years from now. But who knows, maybe I do end up changing cars after a while or may need to replace it due to an accident. Then I would have a ton of parts that'll go to waste lol.

Finally, I'm assuming these ship from US. Do you ever get hit with customs charges?
I don’t go by mileage or time. I check them every second oil change and see condition. Don’t drive much anymore being retired.

·
Registered
870 Posts

If I can save some money, I'll stock up on wear items. I'm not worried about materials degrading, little chance of that happening.

I have never been dinged with custom fees from RockAuto. The price you pay, includes all charges with no surprises at the door.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
ummm. so, have you seen the actual test results of those filters? as in, how much MORE dirt they pass?
I have: https://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

and I know where you're going with this.

These tests did show that K&N filters passed more dirt than OEM filters did because they are the least restrictive in terms of airflow. They also accumulated dirt faster which may be more a consequence of the oil on the filter material than the increase in airflow.

Now, if you're driving the Baja, I would not be buying a K&N. Conversely, if you're mostly driving on the Interstate where dust levels are low and you don't mind cleaning and re-oiling them frequently, I'd consider using them (or should I say that I've always used them without any issues). I also like the idea that I'm not throwing old air filters into land fills.

There are other free-flowing air filters on the market besides K&N that also make a noticeable difference in performance depending on what you drive.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts