Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys.

So what kind of engine air filter are you using?
Fram vs Wix vs OEM(seller insists)
Priced at almost same $15 ish.

Any thought?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have replaced my cars' air and cabin filters with Fram for many years and have had no issues. OEM would of course also be fine. I have no comment on Wix.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Stick to OEM since the price is the same. Aftermarket air filter may change air flow to the engine, gain/loss power. Premium synthetic filters can last as long as 50k miles since you can wash them. But if you compare paper filters, OEM is the best

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,602 Posts
OEM, they meet all of the engines flow requirements and the manufacturer filtration requirements and cost the same or less. Some of the aftermarket filters also do not have the locking tabs, it may not make any difference but if they are on the OEM I like to have them on any replacement.

If you ever had a problem it is one less thing that a picky dealer can try to blame on an aftermarket part, even though the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says they have to prove the after market part caused any problem it still always becomes a fight and costs time and possible court if the dealer refuses warranty coverage. Why give them any reasons to deny coverage if the OEM parts are as good as aftermarket and often you can get them for a lot less on line or EBay sometimes if you buy a few at a time they are even less. 3 pac of OEM oil filters $ 17.90 free shipping (5.96 ea) 3 pack OEM Hyundai Air Filter $ 42.50 (14.16 ea) and there are vendors that sell OEM engine and cabin filter sets and it will save a few $.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I have ordered Genuine OEM Hyundai Air Filter 28113-C1100 [ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0184XA0UE[/ame]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've used OEM as the price was not too much more than non OEM here in Canada.

It's just the cabin air filter that is ridiculously priced.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Went replace my air filter in my 2012 Tucson with a Fram correct filter looked identical but could not close the air filter box over it returned it and got a OEM at the dealer it fit perfectly.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Hyundai and local dealer have already taken enough of my money for their junk and incompetence.

Needless to say, I avoid OEM parts unless there is no other option.

Any of the name brand air filters will work just fine. Wix/Fram/... are great filters too.

Reactions: midwest1

·
Registered
407 Posts
Either of the filters should be fine. I avoid K&N lifetime just for the hassle of washing and drying. Besides, the break even point is many years out for the cost of the filter and oil.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Either of the filters should be fine. I avoid K&N lifetime just for the hassle of washing and drying. Besides, the break even point is many years out for the cost of the filter and oil.
very same reason why i switched back to oem. Plus i hated using that super contaminant cleaner chemicals they need. Besides having to buy new filters every oil change, i don't feel any difference in performance.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
very same reason why i switched back to oem. Plus i hated using that super contaminant cleaner chemicals they need. Besides having to buy new filters every oil change, i don't feel any difference in performance.
The oil actually slows airflow into the engine,allows more contaminants into the engine which will,over time,shorten engine life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts