Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first post - I took delivery of my i20 1.6L on Friday (in South Africa).
RDS does not seem to be automatically enabled. I wanted to find out if it is available on South African i20s, and if so, how do I enable it?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
QUOTE (Joe Talin @ Jul 4 2010, 07:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338790
Hi all,

This is my first post - I took delivery of my i20 1.6L on Friday (in South Africa).
RDS does not seem to be automatically enabled. I wanted to find out if it is available on South African i20s, and if so, how do I enable it?

Hi and :00000732: to the forums. It should explain in your owners handbook about RDS if equipped....... but, i just looked on Hyundai service site, and your audio may not have RDS!

QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 4 2010, 08:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338796
What's an RDS?

Radio Data System

See the Wiki ste for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (Mr Pogle @ Jul 4 2010, 07:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338842
Hi and :00000732: to the forums. It should explain in your owners handbook about RDS if equipped....... but, i just looked on Hyundai service site, and your audio may not have RDS!

Radio Data System

See the Wiki ste for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System
Hi Mr P,

My owner's handbook states "*if equipped" for most features (my car has many of these). The handbook is the one printed for Hyundai India, or so it says in the printing information.
The manual mentions RDS under instructions for the <SETUP> button, but doesn't elaborate at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Try this:
Turn on the radio and then turn off.
Press 1 and 6, both at the same time. Firmware version will appear.
Then pressing keys 1 to 6 will show hidden menus.
The key 4 is RDS parameters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (BMN @ Jul 5 2010, 09:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339013
Try this:
Turn on the radio and then turn off.
Press 1 and 6, both at the same time. Firmware version will appear.
Then pressing keys 1 to 6 will show hidden menus.
The key 4 is RDS parameters.
Hi BMN

I tried what you suggested. After pressing 1 and 6 together, the firmware version appeared (see photo).

However no amount of pressing 1 to 6 (including 4) showed any hidden menus.
After a while, the firmware version disappeared again.
Is there perhaps another way to view the hidden menus?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
QUOTE (BMN @ Jul 5 2010, 09:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339030
I think all models have the same radio.
Not sure about this as I found these differences.

Red circled would be for European market......

Note the different labelling of buttons between European market and General market models

So it appears that there are 2 models of head unit PA710R for Europe with RDS, and PA710 for General market without RDS

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (Mr Pogle @ Jul 6 2010, 10:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339305
Not sure about this as I found these differences.

Red circled would be for European market......

Note the different labelling of buttons between European market and General market models

So it appears that there are 2 models of head unit PA710R for Europe with RDS, and PA710 for General market without RDS

Hope this helps.

Where can I get that manual from which these screen shots are taken? wow!

I will check my car a bit later and let you know which version of the radio I have

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (Mr Pogle @ Jul 7 2010, 10:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339445
sign up here http://service.hyundai-motor.com/ If I recall, you need to disable your pop-up blocker whilst joining...... I think!

I'm feeling a bit stupid here...
I managed to create an account and login. I browse to the correct vehicle year, model etc but I don't seem to be able to display that manual.
What should I be clicking?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
QUOTE (BMN @ Jul 7 2010, 11:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339646
Good photos BMN :thumbsup: ........... now I see what you're saying, but the fact that, as you point out for example, you can switch bluetooth on and off and yet it still doesn't work leads me to believe that there are internal hardware differences between the 2 radio models even though both models use the same firmware. And if this is not the case, why the different labelling of the buttons, TA and PTY are specific to RDS functionality only?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE (Mr Pogle @ Jul 8 2010, 06:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339716
Good photos BMN :thumbsup: ........... now I see what you're saying, but the fact that, as you point out for example, you can switch bluetooth on and off and yet it still doesn't work leads me to believe that there are internal hardware differences between the 2 radio models even though both models use the same firmware. And if this is not the case, why the different labelling of the buttons, TA and PTY are specific to RDS functionality only?
I have the non-European radio :-(
I have the MUTE button instead of the TA button.
I guess no RDS for me.
Though it does seem to be a silly thing to not have in a modern car radio.

Thanks for the step-by-step in the Shop Manual! I was trying to use Firefox - that didn't work at all. Internet Explorer was, unfortunately, the way to go

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Pogle @ Jul 7 2010, 09:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339445
sign up here http://service.hyundai-motor.com/ If I recall, you need to disable your pop-up blocker whilst joining...... I think!
Sorry, a bit off topic but ... Do you happen to know if the access charge of €5 per hour is for a single whole hour or part off, ie, if you disconnect after say 45mn and realise you forgot to look something up, do you need to pay a further €5 or would you still have 15mn 'credit' ?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
QUOTE (BGRT @ Jul 10 2010, 05:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340535
Sorry, a bit off topic but ... Do you happen to know if the access charge of €5 per hour is for a single whole hour or part off, ie, if you disconnect after say 45mn and realise you forgot to look something up, do you need to pay a further €5 or would you still have 15mn 'credit' ?
By using Internet Explorer (it doesn't like Firefox) and turning on (or off, can't remember which way round) your pop-up blocker......... you don't get the charges box appearing :thumbsup:
If it doesn't work with pop-ups disabled, try it the other way LOL

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Pogle @ Jul 10 2010, 07:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340572
By using Internet Explorer (it doesn't like Firefox) and turning on (or off, can't remember which way round) your pop-up blocker......... you don't get the charges box appearing :thumbsup:
If it doesn't work with pop-ups disabled, try it the other way LOL
Cheers, pop-up blocker ON does the business... neat trick thanks !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts