Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil as I have several times before and went to check the dip stick. It looked like too much so I emptied some. It was still too much so I let more out. Again and again until the oil tank was empty. And yes I wiped off the dipstick and checked when the car was off.

I only put in 4 quarts and emptied the tank completely. I thought that there might be a clog at the bottom of the dip stick hose so I shoved in a ground wire from 12-2 that was a foot or two longer than the dip stick. It got to the end of the dip stick line and didn't get anything that looked like a clog.

How can the oil tank be empty but the dip stick reads oil a quarter of the way up it? The car has been sitting for a long time and it still shows the same reading.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
that does not make any sense. this might sound a stupid question but are you checking the right dip stick? (i.e the trans. dip stick)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its the right one. Its yellow and says eng oil. There is definitely oil on it when I take it out. And its pretty dirty considering I just changed the oil.

·
1,565 Posts
Maybe if you emptied it from an oil tank you are doing it wrong, because I'm pretty sure there is not an oil tank.

Unless you mean the oil pan, in which case if you are absolutely sure you are doing it right, use some pressurized air to blow down the dip stick hole, leave the drain open and that should clear out any stuck oil.

I'm not making fun of tank vs. pan, I just want to verify you are draining the right thing. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I found local Cincy dealers on-line to be Kerry, Superior, Columbia,,,, you may consider just having it towed before you end up with damage that will cost you a lot of money.

·
Administrator
2021 Elantra Limited
3,855 Posts
If he drained the transmission but put in 4 more quarts of oil in the engine, he'd have 8 quarts of oil in the engine and the dipstick would read way off the charts. 

·
1,565 Posts
QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ Sep 22 2010, 05:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357966
If he drained the transmission but put in 4 more quarts of oil in the engine, he'd have 8 quarts of oil in the engine and the dipstick would read way off the charts. 
He said oil was a quarter of the way up the stick so maybe that's his issue.

·
Registered
709 Posts
this also may sound stupid, but are you checking the dipstick correctly?

remove dipstick
wipe with towel
reinsert dipstick for 1 to 2 seconds
remove dipstick and read level

other than the suggestions made earlier in the thread, there must be some information missing from your first post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts