Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My empty light worked when I first bought this car but I ran it on empty most of the day and didn't stop for gas until it started to sputter when going around curves ( cut it WAY close ) and the "E" light never came on. Bulb ? Something with the sending unit ? This car sat for quiet a while ( around 2 years ) before I bought it but it was on "E" when I drove it out of the field to bring it home . I changed the filter ( original I believe , 101k ) and it was almost stopped up completely , It smelled terrible. The fuel pump was loader than usual before the filter change as well but is nice and quiet now. Here is what come out of the filter -

Could the sender be working properly and the gas hand be reading correct but the light still not work due to build up in the tank ? I ran a half tank through it with cleaner in it and then a tank with 92 W/Ethanol and Rislone fuel injector cleaner / Upper Cylinder Lubricant added . I plan too add another cleaner through it with tonight's tank ( 87 , 100% ) , any recommendations ? Long post , thanks for reading .

·
Registered
538 Posts
In my i30 the E light doesn't come on under the gauge is hard down on E. Your idea about the tank sounds good, with the amount of gunk in the filter it's probable the in tank strainer is clogged as well, you may have been 'starving' of fuel rather than 'out' of fuel. I'd be taking the gauge unit/fuel pick up out and giving it a clean up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the e light supposed to come on when I turn the key to the on position like the rest of the warning lights do ? It seems like the only time the e light came on in my ol Elantra was when it was on E...IDK.

·
Registered
538 Posts
TJVJR That's correct, it does not self test on key on, not that I've noticed anyway. It only comes on when fuel is low, and in my i30 that means you have less than 5 litres before the tank is bone dry. One of those features that's not really a feature. Oh look the fuel lights just come on, cough splutter cough.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I went ahead and pulled the fuel pump assembly to check the sock / strainer . I'm glad I did , it was caked with what looked like clay . The leveling pan inside the tank had a coating of the same substance. Even though the car was sputtering like it was running out of gas ( on E but no empty light ) it still had at least a gallon - a gallon and a half. I got the remaining gas out and cleaned the leveling pan , the fuel pump assembly and replaced the sock / strainer (it was brittle as well ) . Now the empty light works the car feels peppier overall . Seems to be idling better too. I will see how it does mileage wise with this tank , it may do a little better .
If you have to replace your main filter and have fairly easy access to the sock strainer I'd say check it , I'm glad I did

1 - 5 of 5 Posts