Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear Forum Members,

I"m at a friend's home ready to sit for Thanksgiving Dinner. As I arrived, I turned off my ignition switch and then turned off my headlights. Suddenly the flashers came on. I had not depressed the Emergency light switch and couldn't figure out how or why they were flashing. I tried to start the car, and although all lights were activated - it would not start. I disconnected the negative battery terminal because the emergency lights would come on then stop, then come on then stop. IN order not to kill the battery during our dinner - I decided the best thing was to remove the negative terminal. I will attempt to start the car after our meal.

IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN DO TO GET THE CAR TO START so that I can get home?

HISTORY:

Yesterday , a much colder day then today, I started the car - and there was a clicking coming from the dashboard. As the car warmed a bit it all stopped.

The car has 49,000 miles on it. It literally was driven my an elderly gentleman who was the sole owner until I was given the car by his daughter, a friend of mine. At that time, last May, the car had 47,700 original miles. The car is quite tight and in wonderful condition except for some cosmetic damage.

I did find three mouse nests in the car however. One was in the heating system, one was in the rear bay area under where the tire is housed and the other is in the over head light ( apparently). I thoroughly cleaned the two mouse nests, (one was in the heater behind the glove compartment).

The dome lights do not work because of a short created by that small additional mouse nest. My mechanic disconnected that system, because the short was interfering with him doing an inspection on the car. After he disconnected the dome lights - there was no longer a problem. I haven't gotten around to cleaning it out yet. I don't understand why it would cause a problem since that system has been disconnected at the interior fuse box (too many other things to do to prepare for winter - I live in rural Vermont in the mountains off grid).

I hope you are all having a wonderful Thanksgiving. That said, I thought I'd just try and see if someone could help. Truly don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Happy Holidays. Thomas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK,
Well, I hope you all had a good thanksgiving. Mine was a nightmare thanks to the car and other reasons. The next day, I went back to where the dinner was, waited 4 hours for AAA. No luck. Saturday, the following day, skipped deer hunting, went back again to where the car was, and called AAA - first it was a 2 hour wait, then, another 4 hour wait. After all the calling etc. I decided to give it a whirl, turned the key and it started.

This indicated to me that no it's not the battery, it's the negative ground. After reading many comments on the internet, and a few here in the forum about other cars, I'm proceeding to do the following.
1. Replacing the negative battery cable entirely.
I don't like it- don't like the terminal the connects to the post, stupidly engineered to put on a regular, oldfashioned terminal.
2. Will be seeking out where the actual ground is and will create another ground, hopefully to the engine.

I've had this car since Sept. Not a lot of time to get to know it. Diving in. I would appreciate advice, especially if my thinking is in error.

All the best, Happy Holidays. Thomas

1 - 2 of 2 Posts