Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In what direction do u spin the star bolt for the emergency brake in the rear?
In other words clicking up or down tightens versus loosening?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Facing from the outside (where you'd be anyway), rotating the star wheel down tightens it. When you've tightened it as much as you can with a screwdriver, back it off (rotate up) 5 notches on the star wheel.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
That said, it might not answer the question you actually meant to ask. The cable has to be in proper adjustment for the brake to work properly, too. If there's too much slack in the cable, it won't matter what you do on the back end. After making the star wheel adjustment, let us know how it's working.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Facing from the outside (where you'd be anyway), rotating the star wheel down tightens it. When you've tightened it as much as you can with a screwdriver, back it off (rotate up) 5 notches on the star wheel.
I may be totally wrong here(so I'll apologize in advance if I am), but doesn't it depend on which side of the car he is on?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
As it happens, no. If you could set the RH and LH assemblies side by side you would discover that unlike a normal drum brake (where the star is offset to one end to contact the automatic adjusting pawl), the stars are centered and the adjusters are oriented the same way in both assemblies. In other words, as you would look down at the pair of assemblies, you would see the male threaded bit is on your right in both cases, for example.

So (and I hope this makes sense visually) once mounted, the adjusters point in opposite directions, and the action remains the same regardless of which side you're on.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
As it happens, no. If you could set the RH and LH assemblies side by side you would discover that unlike a normal drum brake (where the star is offset to one end to contact the automatic adjusting pawl), the stars are centered and the adjusters are oriented the same way in both assemblies. In other words, as you would look down at the pair of assemblies, you would see the male threaded bit is on your right in both cases, for example.

So (and I hope this makes sense visually) once mounted, the adjusters point in opposite directions, and the action remains the same regardless of which side you're on.
Canderson, thanks for the explanation. That makes it quite easy to remember the direction.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So my last question regarding this matter. Is there a trick to acomplishing or do I simply sit there with a small flat head screwdirver and poke away. I have done it in the past both with drums and disks but I always feel like a goofball cause it seems to take forever.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Sit there with a medium sized flat head and poke away <g>. If you can pre-adjust it so that you don't have so much turning to do after assembly, that helps, but there's a limit as to how tight you can get it before you put it all together. Just keep crankin' 'til it feels tight, then back off the 5 notches of the star as recommended. Could be worse. Remember those previous experiences where it all had to be done from the back side???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts