Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading though some post/threads, I see people talk about getting the Electronic steering reprogrammed.

My question is what are the different modes to choose from, why did you choose that mode?

Also how did you ask the dealer to reprogram it for you, and was there a charge for this service?

·
Registered
660 Posts
We just took our Sonata in this week, The Sonata GLS has 4 settings softest to firm are, GLS, Soft, Hard and Sport settings. The problem is that these cars set at the GLS setting is so soft, it wanders really bad at highway speeds. My Elantra GT has a steering wheel control button to select 3 modes (Comfort, Normal & Sport). That select button should had been put on all of the Hyundai line.

Not all dealers have been okay with doing the change, but I think the issues may have been brought up so much, they are making the corrections under warranty as they did with my wife's Sonata.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also is this something you can feel right away while in the shop and you can pick and feel which setting before choosing the one you want?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Each dealer is different about if they will do it and how many times they will do it. If you car really wanders on the road and it isn't due to bad alignment, tire pressure or balancing, then I would ask if they could reset the steering to Sport mode. Then ask, if it is too tight, would the set it one step softer. I doubt they are going to give you the Goldilocks reset. But you don't really know until you ask them.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The Sonata and one of the SUV's seem to have the most problems with this issue. There is a lot of information in a Sonata steering thread out there. I personally had my wife's Sonata changed. I know my Elantra GT has a switch on the steering wheel for the driver to choose their preference. It is certainly possible that all Elantra's have the means to change the settings in the software, but I cannot swear to that. Like I said earlier, not all dealers are doing anything about it. Try another dealer and arm youself with some documentation from some of the other threads.

Text Font Line Design Document

This is our receipt from getting the Sonata done.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I know my mechanic personally so we looked at my 2011 Elantra Limited steering settings with the Hyundai scan tool. My 2011 Elantra only had tire size settings to choose from in the EPS (Electric Power Steering) settings menu. We reprogrammed the EPS module to a smaller tire size to see if it would increase steering effort which it seems to have done.

On the other hand, my 2011 Sonata Limited had 4 settings to choose from. I chose "Sport" and what a difference. It feels like your really in control now.

If you're a Sonata owner I highly recommend the fix but for Elantra owners it may make a difference what year model you have as to what settings are available.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I know my mechanic personally so we looked at my 2011 Elantra Limited steering settings with the Hyundai scan tool. My 2011 Elantra only had tire size settings to choose from in the EPS (Electric Power Steering) settings menu. We reprogrammed the EPS module to a smaller tire size to see if it would increase steering effort which it seems to have done.

On the other hand, my 2011 Sonata Limited had 4 settings to choose from. I chose "Sport" and what a difference. It feels like your really in control now.

If you're a Sonata owner I highly recommend the fix but for Elantra owners it may make a difference what year model you have as to what settings are available.
Thank you for clarifying that for the Elantra owners.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Would you say the effect is noticeable?

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Would you say the effect is noticeable?
I asked my daughter this morning what she thought. She got to drive her car for the first time last night. She was gone for a week. She told me it felt tighter. So I will say the tire size setting change does make a difference in steering feel.

I would like to see the EPS settings menu on a 2012 & 2013 Elantra. I'm not sure what settings are available for those year models. I would expect the 2013's to have EPS settings you could change much like the Sonata's have.

Remember this is only a setting change in an existing menu for the EPS not a software update or reprogram. (yet)

·
22,793 Posts
I have noticed a profound improvement in steering quality/response between my 2011 & the 2013. I've decided to go with a 50 series tire when it comes to replacing the factory 45's. The additional sidewall flex will go a long way towards ride quality. Now, have to narrow it down down to "quietness." And mileage/tire wear goes without saying. Leanig towards the Pirelli 85,000 mile brand. Not overly leaning, but leaning. ;)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Evidently the new '14 E will also have the selectable steering like the '13 GT. Having driven my wife's GT, it's a great option to be able to adjust to the situation you happen to be driving in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2013 Elantra GLS has dealer changeable steering settings? I have an issue with my arms and would love to have the steering require less effort.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I really like the "Normal" mode on my wife's '13 GT. Is it possible to change this on my '12 GLS? I am bringing it in for a scheduled 15k service on Friday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you find something out when you're at the dealer please let me know. I've basically been unable to drive my Elantra because the steering is too heavy for me. If any Hyundai mechanics know and could chime in I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It frustrates me to no end that there is no available product on the market to add caster. Except maybe veloster top hats (because you have to rotate them 90 degrees), but not all of us want to go coilovers. Well, I guess there are offset bushings... but I duno bout 'em.

·
22,793 Posts
If you find something out when you're at the dealer please let me know. I've basically been unable to drive my Elantra because the steering is too heavy for me. If any Hyundai mechanics know and could chime in I would appreciate it.
As a transplanted native from Virginia to Oklahoma, WELCOME "Ridge Runner" DonBrasco!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts