Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2014 Azera Limited comes with an electroluminescent gauge cluster. It may look cool, but it comes with some concerns. First, if it ever quits, you're out all your gauges at once and replacement would be expensive. But, a more immediate concern is that your gauges are lit all the time, so you can easily think your headlights are on in the dark when they're not. Sometimes it's hard to tell your lights are off if there is enough light from street lights or other cars for you to see the road. I know you can run your headlights on auto, but that doesn't help when it's raining because it is not dark enough to turn the headlights on so you have to manually switch the lights on.

It would be nice if they used the darkness sensor to warn you if you didn't have your headlights on in the dark. I did a search to see if there was such an aftermarket device, but all I get are reminders to tell you to turn off your headlights, not turn them on. Maybe, if I end up with the Azera Limited, I'll look at the circuitry and design my own warning system.

My wife had an electroluminescent gauge cluster on her 2002 Diamante and she solved the problem by keeping her lights manually on all the time, day and night, that the car was running. Strangely, her headlights never burned out a bulb in the ten years she owned the car.

·
Registered
472 Posts
So now you have a good reason to buy a 13 instead of a 14.

In truth, I don't think that would be a reason for not getting the 14 but some will think so.

Go with your gut feeling when you are ready but not to long or you will miss out on a 13.

Good luck either way!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just FYI, the 2012 and 2013 Azera also have electroluminescent instrumentation. I'm pretty sure the 2011+ Sonata does as well. And as doughh said, there is a green indicator light on the dash that's lit when the headlights are on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2013 and my gauges are on all the time. They light up automatically during startup. I don't think that is an issue since my Honda insight has gauges that are lit all the time aswell. Just have to check for the headlight icon to appear on the gauges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts