Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2007 Hyundai Entourage with the following problem - sometimes when I go to start my van nothing happens almost like battery is dead but it is not. I must turn the key several times to get it started and, by luck, it starts. I turn off all electrical equipment not needed just to be safe. I have had it into the dealer time after time and even left it with them so they could see the problem first hand and it did. They said they called Hyundai tech staff and they advised them to check ALL grounding connections and they did. I took the van home and BINGO it still happened. I'm at a loss for what to do next as is my dealer. Anyone got any ideas or who to call for assistance? We really like our van and since Hyundai stopped making that size van we r hanging onto it as long as we can but r running out of patients. This has been happening for about 2 years now and we have 185,000 miles on it with only minor issues. Sure would like Hyundai to find out my problem.
Thanks and hope this is no to long.
PaPaRoy here

·
Registered
622 Posts
I own a 2007 Hyundai Entourage with the following problem - sometimes when I go to start my van nothing happens almost like battery is dead but it is not. I must turn the key several times to get it started and, by luck, it starts. I turn off all electrical equipment not needed just to be safe. I have had it into the dealer time after time and even left it with them so they could see the problem first hand and it did. They said they called Hyundai tech staff and they advised them to check ALL grounding connections and they did. I took the van home and BINGO it still happened. I'm at a loss for what to do next as is my dealer. Anyone got any ideas or who to call for assistance? We really like our van and since Hyundai stopped making that size van we r hanging onto it as long as we can but r running out of patients. This has been happening for about 2 years now and we have 185,000 miles on it with only minor issues. Sure would like Hyundai to find out my problem.
PaPaRoy here
image.jpg
Did they at least try this?? What have they done?

·
Registered
114 Posts
PaPaRoy here

First thing:
2007-2009 Entourage was manufactured by KIA.
It's nothing more that a 2006-2012 2nd generation KIA SEDONA.

Parts are the SAME
Buying thru KIA is CHEAPER.
If you track down parts you need online, your local dealer "may" match the price, and add the order to their regular stock order- this saves you on shipping, BUT you have to pay sales tax.

*Note it has been reported that alot of sites are removing "Part numbers" from the descriptions.

2nd thing, Hyundai didn't sell many of them, it's "Rare". Kia Sedona sold alot more, and only recently stopped selling them which means that KIA techs see a heck alot more of them, than Hyundai techs do.

(I went to a KIA dealer asking them about a water leak from the sunroof "Hyundai techs" had been unable to find the source of the leak for almost (3) years! KIA knew exactly what the problem was.

One of the (numerous) times I dropped the car off @Hyundai it had 2-3 inches of water in the R.F. Passenger floorboard.... On the ticket their rubber stamp response "No problem found".

Add to this Hyundai broke the windshield while in for service... TWICE in that 3yr period!

Dealer tried to wiggle out of it, Luckily District Parts and Service Manager was there that day, and I showed him the impact point that broke the windshield....was UNDER the windshield trim cowling.
(Dealer was working on front end, to access strut tower bolts you have to remove windshield trim. Most likely cause of break was tech using air impact... and it got away from him.)

When the replacement windshield was put in.. I found out the shop Hyundai had used the FIRST time they BROKE the WINDSHIELD had use a "Powered Extractor" tool to remove the windshield... cutting into the A-Pillars, and the section above the windshield... Cutting thru to the base metal... and now it's rusted all to ****.

*Powered Extractor Tool= SawzAll with big blade on it. You are ONLY supposed to use it on the bottom LOWER end of windshield as their nothing on lower end to damage. You are supposed to use another tool on the A-Pillars, upper roof part of windshield.
(Tool with a T-handle, with a cutter at a right angle that doesn't cut into the paint)

The ONLY time you should use a "Powered Extractor" around the entire perimeter is if you are cutting a windshield out of a JUNK car and don't care if it cuts thru the paintwork.

Trying to figure out how I can work it so shop that damaged the car has to pay the repairs... 3 + year later...
Bet that's going to be a fun conversation. Car was bought brand-new and the only people to "touch" the car were under Hyundai's control...

If your car is out of warranty, Having KIA service the car is a smart move from the standpoint KIA techs have more "seat time" in doing xyz repair.
(I've read here and there Hyundai/Kia don't share some info between the divisions as it relates to the software program which updates /ties into the ECU... so this might be a problem in some cases.

If you find out this is not the case, please post back this is not the case!)

Ok:

Internment Starting problem:
Under the dash to the left of the steering column, is something called the IPM.

Basically it's a "motherboard" like in a PC, in which thru it flow electrical impulses /feeds to various devices. Within the IPM panel are various relays....

One of the relays which is known to go bad is the Anti-theft Relay.

(You have to be a sick puppy to steal a Mini-Van, eh?)

What it does is interrupt the electrical feed (12vdc) to the starter relay, if the system is armed... and it's set off.

Normally I'd recommend the first thing someone to do would be to Google Hyundai Tech Info, which would roll you over to HMAService website.... as you used to be able to access for free Service Manuals, electrical diagrams. I'd tell people to download the Service Manual, TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins), the "Warranty History" of their car and the ETM's (Electrical Training Manual)

As of 2013-12-20.......Now you have to pay to access the info.

That and I'd post the TSB that might apply.

More tidbits:

The Anti-theft relay is soldered onto the IPM board.

Unless you bypass it (You will have to Google for info, Entourage owner that goes by the name of GTD2000 did a write-up, youtube video) you have to buy the entire IPM panel..... It think it's around $265 for the part alone.

Here is the info you need, tell GTD2000 I sent you:
Intermittent Starting? - MyHyundaiForums.com

In closing:

With most if not all of the ENTOURAGES being OUT of WARRANTY....

No longer can people say "Hey, it's under warranty Take it to the dealer"...

REMEMBER TO POST BACK in DETAIL what the "FIX" ends up to be /How you fixed it.

Post the info you'd like to have in your hands right now!

PS: Sorry for getting of track.
Point I'm trying to make about Hyundai servicing the car is they didn't make very many to begin with, Most techs familiar with the Entourage are few and far between.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts