Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Have some strange electrical issues in our 2007 Sonata. The alternator failed while driving on a highway and we needed it towed to get that and the battery replaced. Everything seemed to work for a few days, but then we noticed the windows sometimes wouldn't go up or down and then worked again for a few days. Then a few days later we noticed that MANY electrical things went all of the same day. None of the four windows went up or down, the blower had the ability to STAY ON even if the ignition was off and the keys out of the car, the rear defroster no longer worked, the headlights did not come on in auto mode any longer, the seatbelt off and lights on reminder sound wasn't working. All of this stayed "broken" for about three weeks. Then all of a sudden one day EVERYTHING started working again and stayed that way for about two weeks. Now today I got in the car and all the same things aren't working again. I first though either the alternator going OR the alternator/battery job fried something for good. Then when it ALL came back I thought maybe the computer had to reset or something. Now with it out again I'm thinking maybe something loose somewhere? Has anyone heard of something similar to this? THANKS!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Sounds like the alternator is not charging but I am surprised it could start after all those problems Yes check all the earths connections as well as the battery main. You can put a simple volt meter across the battery and see if you get around 14 volts at idle. The computer will not do any reset to fix your problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: After everything failed again I took it to the national chain that replaced the alternator and they said it was impossible that their job on either the alternator or battery caused the electrical problems...that the car breaking down on highway or age is the cause and "happens" and they refused to look at it. I was about to complain to their management but THAT day everything started working again. This was about 3 weeks ago and had been working up to yesterday. THEN yesterday the blower did the opposite...instead of staying on all the time (even with keys not in ignition) it completely died and didnt come on ALL Day yesterday. Today I jump back in and everything works again. What to do? it seems the components themselves aren't damaged or they wouldn't ever work...right? So should I take it back to the shop now a few months later and still say they messed up something with the alternator or battery or ground wires? ugh so frustrating. The car is just possessed! Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since you replaced the alternator there why the they refused to look at it ?
The service is very terrible.
Have you checked the battery and the earth connection?
I had new alternator replacement on my 07 Sonata,at first I thought it's bad because the alternator is not charging after installing.
But then I found I forgot to connect the battery.
After connect the battery, the new alternator provides enough power and works great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts