Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver's side electric door lock rocker switch nowadays takes three or four hard pushes to lock the doors.

The doors lock fine with the passenger side door lock switch or the remote key fob.

Is there an easy fix for this? Like spraying some contact cleaner around it? (wishful thinking)

I have maybe four days left on the warranty. And, I'm reluctant to take it to the dealer anyway - looks like a big job involving dismantling the door. The last time I had something done like that, when I picked my car up, half the parts were on the floor mat.

And, yes, I used the search box.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You refering to the manual lock there in the door handle socket is hard to flip,, bound up ??

If YES,, replace the offending door' door latch-actuator assembly.. easy diagnosis,, yes ??

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Oct 23 2010, 09:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365773
You refering to the manual lock there in the door handle socket is hard to flip,, bound up ??

If YES,, replace the offending door' door latch-actuator assembly.. easy diagnosis,, yes ??

It flips easily - not bound up or anything.

It just doesn't do anything unless you push it hard many times.

I'm guessing it's the switch itself - but still just guessing.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I re-read your post a bit more slowly (RIF)

You all pick bad times to have problems,,, we just toss a door panel earlier this past week, had a the switch assembly still attached to the panel..

I looked at it and slid it back into the box and walked away from it. Door panel was beige, dont know if you could swap the switch assembly from the trim, since when we replace the switch assembly, it comes color coded.. We just swap the colored panel/switch assembly off the main door panel.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Oct 23 2010, 11:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365791
We just swap the colored panel/switch assembly off the main door panel.

Assuming it's the switch itself, which would seem to be the case since the other door switch and key fob work just fine, the question is what do you have to do to replace it?

Dismantle the door panels?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (kn5owa @ Oct 23 2010, 11:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365802
Assuming it's the switch itself, which would seem to be the case since the other door switch and key fob work just fine, the question is what do you have to do to replace it?

Dismantle the door panels?
You remove door panel, then with panel on table top, you remove a bunch of screws that hold the colored plastic door pull/armrest to the panel, then pull that whole trim part/switch assembly off, install new trim/switch panel, replace the screws, install door panel.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've noticed mine also takes a few pushes for the door to lock. It seemed to do better when I pressed the top left part of the button instead of the center.

And since I got the new battery (another thread) it seems to lock on the first try.

But I am concerned that it is a mechanical problem. I don't see myself taking the door off the hinges.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Oct 24 2010, 12:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365899
You remove door panel, then with panel on table top, you remove a bunch of screws that hold the colored plastic door pull/armrest to the panel, then pull that whole trim part/switch assembly off, install new trim/switch panel, replace the screws, install door panel.
Thanks for the help - sounds like the sort of thing that's a bear unless you've done it at least once.

I've got 2 days of warranty left - maybe I'll take it to dealer - although that scares me too, based on prior experience where trim items are involved.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (Suzanna @ Oct 24 2010, 03:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365948
I've noticed mine also takes a few pushes for the door to lock. It seemed to do better when I pressed the top left part of the button instead of the center.

And since I got the new battery (another thread) it seems to lock on the first try.

But I am concerned that it is a mechanical problem. I don't see myself taking the door off the hinges.
They won't take the door off the hinges - but pretty close to it which bothers me. I had the power window motor replaced on a Caddy once. Charged me a fortune and they left a handful of parts on the floor. Dismantling trim items like the inside of a door takes skill and experience which is very rare nowadays. As a bare minimum, it takes a little respect for your property which is equally rare.

It's annoying that switches like the door lock malfunction because of a tiny bit corrosion on the contacts. and then it's a major job to replace the whole item. Others are complaining about the power mirror switch and it's the same problem there.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Susanna, SBR is referring to the plastic door panel; it comes off pretty easy if you've removed one before. 4 (?) phillips screws, a bunch o'plastic clips and a couple of plugs and it comes off.

I've got door problems of a different color (I was t-boned) and I wouldn't even try to remove a door; the last time I helped remove a door it took three men, a BF floor jack and a 2 x 4. But that was on a '65 (?) Impala two door.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts